Unable to use google apps as external SMTP server: RFC-5321 error

Hello everyone,

First off, my apologies if this has already been addressed, but i have been unable to find any reference to this issue in the forums.

I am trying to set up google apps / gmail as the external smtp provider for my client's C5 site. It only partially works, and I'm unable to figure out why.

The issue is that if I have my client's email address and my own email address set to be notified of form submissions, I get the form submission emails and she does not.
When I go into dashboard > system & settings > email > test and send either one of us a test email, we both get the email.

here are the settings I'm using for SMTP:
Configuration:
- Send mail method: smtp
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Port: 587
- SMTP Encryption: TLS
- SMTP Username: do-not-reply@opportunitygroup.ca
- SMTP Password: <hidden>

The only clue I've got to go on as to why this is happening is this, which I see in the logs every time I test the form block:
Nov 28, 2015, 10:21:27 PM      Sent Emails   lmadmin   **EMAILS ARE ENABLED. THIS EMAIL WAS SENT TO mail()**
Template Used: block_form_submission
Mail Details: Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 22:21:26 -0500
Reply-To: do-not-reply@opportunitygroup.ca
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Workshop=20Registration=20Form=20Submission?=
To: karen@opportunitygroup.ca,
info@opportunitygroup.ca,
mechamotoman@gmail.com
Message-ID: 
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Sender:

Nov 28, 2015, 10:21:27 PM      Exceptions   lmadmin   Mail Exception Occurred. Unable to send mail: 5.1.2 The address specified is not a valid RFC-5321 address. c79sm15473531ioj.40 - gsmtp
#0 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/vendor/zendframework/zend-mail/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(264): Zend\Mail\Protocol\AbstractProtocol->_expect(Array, 300)
#1 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/vendor/zendframework/zend-mail/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(230): Zend\Mail\Protocol\Smtp->rcpt(' info@opportuni...')
#2 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/src/Mail/Service.php(483): Zend\Mail\Transport\Smtp->send(Object(Zend\Mail\Message))
#3 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/blocks/form/controller.php(483): Concrete\Core\Mail\Service->sendMail()
#4 [internal function]: Concrete\Block\Form\Controller->action_submit_form('796')
#5 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/src/Controller/AbstractController.php(156): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#6 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/src/Page/Controller/PageController.php(219): Concrete\Core\Controller\AbstractController->runAction('action_submit_f...', Array)
#7 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/src/Routing/DispatcherRouteCallback.php(184): Concrete\Core\Page\Controller\PageController->validateRequest()
#8 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/src/Application/Application.php(369): Concrete\Core\Routing\DispatcherRouteCallback->execute(Object(Concrete\Core\Http\Request))
#9 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/bootstrap/start.php(284): Concrete\Core\Application\Application->dispatch(Object(Concrete\Core\Http\Request))
#10 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/concrete/dispatcher.php(36): require('/home/epar/publ...')
#11 /home/epar/public_html/SHARED/opportunitygroup/index.php(2): require('/home/epar/publ...')
#12 {main}
Template Used: block_form_submission

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be really appreciated

WebcentricLtd replied on at Permalink Reply
hi, does it work if the smtp username is set to a real email address, for example karen@opportunitygroup.ca ?
alextremblay replied on at Permalink Reply
do-not-reply@ is a real emailnaddress which I created for the purpose of setting up c5 smtp
Mnkras replied on at Permalink Reply
Mnkras
Personally I am having no issues with using google as an SMTP server with a google apps account
Shotster replied on at Permalink Reply
Shotster
The error seems to indicate that the recipient address is invalid. I would suggest checking the value being passed to Zend Mail as the "to" address.

-Steve
alextremblay replied on at Permalink Reply
other than the c5 log as shown in my original post, how can I find out what address is being passed to zend in the To: field? is there another, more granular log to be found somewhere?
pland replied on at Permalink Reply
We are experiencing this issue as well. Forms can send email to accounts outside the client's Gmail account, but they cannot receive them internally. Major issue for us, so will be monitoring this thread and hoping someone has a suggestion for what path to pursue--whether this is a C5 issue or Gmail configuration.