Unable to save task or user permissions

Permalink
Hello!

I am trying add a group to a custom task permission that I created and for some reason adding the group doesn't "stick". Meaning, I grant access to the group, the interface under "Task Permissions" shows that group next to my custom permission, but when I refresh the page the group is no longer listed. I thought maybe it was just an issue with my custom permission, so I tried granting different groups access to various task and user permissions, and each time it "appears" as though the permission has been granted, but refreshing the page causes it to disappear.

Any clues as to where I should be looking? Are there logs that might provide insight?

1 Attachment

View Replies: View Best Answer
JohntheFish replied on at Permalink Reply
JohntheFish
There are several levels of dialog involved in setting a permission. You need to Save at each level or the permissions won't stick.
derekairdrie replied on at Permalink Reply
Thank you for the reply. Can you provide an example of an additional level for one of the task permissions? Let's say I wanted to grant "Registered Users" permission to "Install Packages"? Currently I am clicking "Install Packages", then "Add" next to included, then "Select->Group", then picking "Registered Users", then "Save", then "Save".
At that point I can see "Registered Users" listed next to "Install Packages" under task permissions, but when I refresh the page that group is no longer listed there. What higher level or additional permissions do I need to do prior to going through the steps I listed above?
JohntheFish replied on at Permalink Reply
JohntheFish
> then "Save", then "Save"

That sounds correct. A frequent user mistake is: then "Save", then "cancel" and the change to permission is lost.

Are you logged in as the super admin?

Also, you appear to be testing a custom permission. Do you have the same glitch with a core task permission?
derekairdrie replied on at Permalink Reply
Yes, I am logged in as the super admin. It seems to be the only account that I can even access the "task permissions" page with.

I am having the same issue for all core permissions. I can't seem to grant (or even remove) any groups from any task or user permissions. None of them "stick". For example, I want all admins to be able to access task permissions, but when I add the "Administrators" group to this permission and refresh the page, it is gone.

I tried replacing the "concrete" folder as per a suggestion in this thread:https://www.concrete5.org/community/forums/installation/upgraded-to-...
but that had no effect.
JohntheFish replied on at Permalink Reply
JohntheFish
Any errors in the dev console XHR responses?
derekairdrie replied on at Permalink Reply
Nope, nothing in the console. I even monitored the POST requests when clicking "save" and they go through just fine. It's really odd. I may try creating a brand new site/db and starting from scratch.
derekairdrie replied on at Permalink Reply
I tried a fresh install and a fresh DB and I still can't make permissions "stick". I'm guessing something else is happening at a deeper level.
Are there any logs or anything that I can look at?
JohntheFish replied on at Permalink Reply
JohntheFish
dashboard -> reports ->logs, but from what you are saying there won't be anything of note.

Are you in basic or advanced permissions?
derekairdrie replied on at Permalink Reply
The log didn't show anything relevant, as suspected. I was in Advanced permissions, but I also tried just basic permissions on the new site.

As a last ditch attempt, I tried rebooting the entire server. Lo and behold, now I seem to be able to save permissions again. I have no idea how that could have fixed this issue, but for now it seems to be resolved. I'm quite confused, but if it's working now I'll take it! Thanks for your suggestions throughout the day.
ConcreteOwl replied on at Permalink Best Answer Reply
ConcreteOwl
If your server is running a back-end caching program, that would make sense.
Rebooting would flush the cache ... If the problem comes back try looking for any server caching and disable it.
If your server is running a lightspeed caching program then it cannot be switched off, in this case add this line of code to your htaccess file
RewriteRule (.*) - [E=Cache-Control:no-cache]
derekairdrie replied on at Permalink Reply
This is exactly what it ended up being. Thanks!