403 errors could they somehow be caused by "

It's not really installation, I just couldn't find an appropriate place, and this seemed closest. We have a website in concrete5 v 5.6.02 (around 2 years old at this point). We get intermittent reports of 403 errors on random pages, including the home page. It is not a permissions or .htaccess issue. We ourselves have never seen it, only people going to our site. A few people always get the error, several people say they get it occasionally but can usually access just fine. All our logs show nothing, and the web host sees nothing on their end either. We have another website hosted on the same account, a subdomain of this one, and it has no problems. It's written in ZenCart.

In researching (AKA grasping at straws) I just happened to key in on this line, which seems to be at the top of every concrete5 php file:

defined('C5_EXECUTE') or die("Access Denied.");

Of course, I'm keying in on that little phrase at the end. I have no idea it this could have ANYTHING to do with it, but I'm willing to try anything if it might solve the problem. I have a vague idea why that line is there, but not whether something is hitting it and then throwing the error because of it, or whether, if it is the culprit, we could work around it. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks