White Screen on Site load with 500 error

I installed a new concrete5 (8.4.3 the newest out but not beta) site a couple weeks ago and everything was working good. today I added the Blog and published an unpublished blog post and when i did everything went to crap.

First off the site is in maintenance mode but when you go to it you get white screen or a 500 error.

if you goto the login or dashboard page then you get another error

session_start(): Failed to decode session object. Session has been destroyed

I have CPanel access but unable to find my logs for apache web service so I can't locate the logs. right now all i have is the error above to go off of. Everything was good till i published the saved blog that i had created. is there a way to revert that through the Database. Being i am building the site i have not created a backup yet. so i hope i don't have to start completely over.

birchwoodstudioandevents.com

thanks,
Damon

damonpence replied on at Permalink Reply
I have figured out what is happening but I really don't understand it.

I added code to application/config/generated_overrides/concrete.php and it fixed my problem. my page then started loading and i was able to login.

code added:
'basic_thumbnailer_generation_strategy' => 'async',
'default_thumbnail_format' => 'auto',

now it looks like this:
'misc' => [
'login_redirect' => 'DESKTOP',
'access_entity_updated' => 1539970911,
'latest_version' => '8.4.3',
'default_supermint_preset_id' => 1,
'do_page_reindex_check' => false,
'basic_thumbnailer_generation_strategy' => 'async',
'default_thumbnail_format' => 'auto',
'help_overlay' => false,
],

hopefully this will help someone else.

thanks,
Damon
Gondwana replied on at Permalink Reply
Gondwana
I'm wondering if your site ran out of memory. Thumbnailing can be very onerous in that regard.

Another possibility is max_execution_time over-run, also caused by synchronous thumbnailing. CPanel or equivalent error logs might help.