I've managed to create two custom templates that outputs something like "english français" and "en fr" respectively. Not sure it it's the best way (I'm no php programmer), but it works for me. Here's how you can add it too:
1. download and extract the attached file (see attachement to this comment). It contains switch_language/templates/text and text_short. These are the custom templates.
2. Put the folder "switch_language" in yoursiteroot/blocks (or, if it exists, just copy the template folders) - see you'll have ROOT/blocks/switch_language/templates/text and text_short
3. In you block's context menu, choose Custom template - choose Text or Text short
5. Now add css to your stylesheet (for example floating the list items and links to make it horizontal, add text-transform:uppercase to links, etc).
- Custom template "Text" will result in something like "english français"
- Custom template "Text short" will result in something like "en fr"
- It will result in the following html structure (and classes):
Hi Karl. I already posted two custom templates - see my comment above. I put it in /blocks instead of /packages - not sure what the best choice is here. (your attachement file seems to be empty by the way)
You are allowed to delete your post for 5 minutes after it's posted.