I'm hoping this is a simple case of checking an option, but I can't figure it out after many hours trying, so thought it best to record what I'm doing and see if there's anything obvious wrong.
I'm trying out advanced permissions for an upcoming client who wants authors to be able to edit content and publishers to be able to approve versions.
However, what I'm trying to do at this point is restrict their access to the dashboard / admin as I would using normal permissions (which works by the way). This is a clean install and I've only being using advanced permissions so far. I've also since tried setting access settings in Sitemap, File manager and Sitewide Settings to see if it helps, but no luck so far.
So watch the video and let me know if it's something easy I'm overlooking please.
Thanks for getting back to me. After fiddling about a bit more, I realised that a manual setting further down the sitemap was causing problems.
For anyone having the same problems, here's what I did: When I 'reset' all the permissions (i.e. removed all the manual permission settings on subpages of the dashboard), things starting working as they should: