[SOLVED] image upload error (server responded with 500 code)

When my client are uploading big images (3200px x 4900px) they get an error "server responded with 500 code".

So, I tried making it smaller (max height 3000px ) and then it works.

Where can I see what the max size (in pixels!) to upload is, or where can I change it so my client don't get an error?

JohntheFish replied on at Permalink Reply
JohntheFish
Your server php will have a setting post_max_size. However, uploading will also be affected by execution time and cpu time.

If you need large files, rather than messing with your server environment its usually best to use FTP to copy them to /application/files/incoming/ and then import them using the file manager.
JohntheFish replied on at Permalink Best Answer Reply
JohntheFish
With big file dimensions, you could also be running into memory limits within the graphics applications used to create thumbnails. Again this will be dependant on server php settings.
mesign replied on at Permalink Reply
"Your server php will have a setting post_max_size. However, uploading will also be affected by execution time and cpu time."
Thank you, I will ask my hosting.

"If you need large files, rather than messing with your server environment its usually best to use FTP to copy them to /application/files/incoming/ and then import them using the file manager."
This is no option in this case. My clients can not work with FTP. They just want to use the CMS (and even that is hard for some of them). They don't need big images, they just have no knowledge how to make image smaller. So I set a max image size :).
mesign replied on at Permalink Reply
Solution:
GD image used more than 128MB for processing images, limit is now set to 256MB and it works.