Infinite redirect / 500 error fix with 5.6.x

Permalink 1 user found helpful
On one of the sites I was upgrading recently I ran into an issue where as soon as I swapped in the the 5.6.0.2 core the site would stop responding. Looking at the error logs showed lines similar to:
[Tue Oct 02 20:36:25 2012] [error] [client 154.20.109.107] PHP Warning:  readdir() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /usr/local/share/production
-5.6/web/concrete/core/libraries/environment.php on line 96
[Tue Oct 02 20:36:25 2012] [error] [client 154.20.109.107] PHP Warning:  opendir(/home/site_name/public_html/css/images///////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// in /usr/local/share/production-5.6/web/conc
rete/core/libraries/environment.php on line 95
[Tue Oct 02 20:36:25 2012] [error] [client 154.20.109.107] PHP Warning:  readdir() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /usr/local/share/production
-5.6/web/concrete/core/libraries/environment.php on line 96
[Tue Oct 02 20:36:25 2012] [error] [client 154.20.109.107] PHP Warning:  opendir(/home/site_name/public_html/css/images///////////////////////////////////////////////

It turns out that I had one directory that the web server did not have read access to, but some css was trying to load images out of. Changing the permission of that folder fixed the issue and the site started loading again.

Hopefully this can save someone else a bit of time and from going down random rabbit holes :)

triplei

prema520 replied on at Permalink Reply
Brilliant! Saved a bit of time. Thanks very much for taking the time to post