Uploading Large Files - Concrete Can't "see" them

Permalink 1 user found helpful
I've used unlimited FTP to upload some rather large (350MB+) .avi files. I looked in my cpanel's file manager to make sure they are in the public_html folder and they are. I logged into my Concrete5 site and went to my "video" page where I tried to create a block for the video I'd just uploaded. When I'm prompted to browse for the file, Concrete doesn't see it. I don't understand. I looked in my Dashboard's File Manager and clicked on the "access" tab and it says that all files are uploaded to the public_html/files folder. Am I uploading to the wrong place? When I used my cpanel's unlimited FTP to upload, I clicked on public_html, then on "files" and then uploaded - but it didn't go into the "files" folder - the file ended up in public_html. Does that make a difference?
Sorry for being long winded. Can someone help me understand what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to post these videos to my site.
Thank you!!!

SpiritSealed

hursey013 replied on at Permalink Best Answer Reply
hursey013
You need to upload the files to /files/incoming/ in order for them to be imported into the file manager. You'll also want to make sure the /incoming/ folder has read/write permission.

And just to elaborate, once you upload them to that directory, you still need to go into the File Manager, and click the "more" link in the top right corner, then click the "Add Incoming" tab and you should see your uploaded files there.
SpiritSealed replied on at Permalink Reply
SpiritSealed
Thank you for responding so quickly. I think I see my problem. When I looked more carefully at my file manager, I see that its tree is: public html/incoming - not public html/files/incoming. So I made an 'incoming' folder in the files folder and set the proper permissions. I am now uploading a video and will know shortly if it worked. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for your help!! :)
I'll touch base if it works (and if it doesn't)
SpiritSealed
It worked, except that the video player doesn't "play."
The file extension (.avi) is supported by the video player, but all I have is a black screen and when I click play, nothing happens.
Maybe the file is corrupt? I'm uploading another video to see if I have the same problem. I'll let you know. In the meantime, is there anything else I should check??
mario replied on at Permalink Reply
mario
what video player/block are you using?
SpiritSealed
Hi. OK, I've uploaded another .avi video that I know isn't corrupted (I tested it out on my desktop with VLC media player to make sure it plays and it does). I uploaded it and followed hursey013's instructions and the block is now on my video page http://www.spiritsealed.com/index.php/video/...
However, I can't "see" the video. It is a black box and the play button is darkened so that I am unable to push it. But if I wait about 5 minutes, I suddenly "hear" the video, but still am unable to see it.
Mario, you asked me what video player/block I'm using. It doesn't seem to have a name. I went to the marketplace and searched video players and installed one. It is called "video player" and supports AVI, WMV, Quicktime/MPEG4 and FLV formats.
I am not sure what I've done wrong....can someone give me some guidance?
mario replied on at Permalink Reply
mario
did you pay for it? if so, you could approach the maker of the player for help. what is it called when you add the block to a page?

EDIT: you might want to try another format. convert to mpeg or flv and see if that works. when i visit your example page it asks me to install an unknown plug-in. it could be your version of avi you're uploading is weakly supported.

EDIT2: try opening a Vimeo.com account and installing the Vimeo player block. you may have better results with that.
hursey013 replied on at Permalink Reply
hursey013
I second mario... I use a lot of video on my sites and the only one that consistently and reliably works is flv.
SpiritSealed
I took Mario's advice. I converted the format from .avi to mp4 and it works just fine now. Thanks Mario........why didn't I think of that?! :)
fairdog replied on at Permalink Reply
I am trying to do the same thing.
my files are in files/incoming but in dashboard I do not see the "more" option in the top right. Where is it exactly?
MattWaters replied on at Permalink Reply
MattWaters
Try this: In the File Manager, click the "Upload Multiple" link. The popup window will have three tabs-- the middle one is "Add Incoming". Your files will appear there.
That helped Thanks.
Ok now I see it. It is flv file 17M. Just trying now to add it as an flv block but is invisible.
seems to play with vid player, I'll have to play around with it. I think I am good for now.
Thanks allot
tambopc replied on at Permalink Reply
tambopc
Matt
I am using 5.7 and cannot see the 'Upload Multiple' link in File Manager. Where is it in this version. I an trying to upload MP3 files of 10M to 20M. Can you help?