A sales process is always a challenging task for a salesman as he should be both a good speaker and a psychologist to understand his customer’s needs. When selling in person, he can easily guess which products to offer and how to sell them. What if one sells online? What should one do to start a deal by correspondence and bring it to a successful conclusion without losing clients?
When it comes to online sales, it becomes more difficult to sell anything as the salesman does not see his client. Furthermore, this communication is often delayed due to customer’s late response.
A seller must be as convincing, fast, and concise as possible to complete the deal successfully. It will also be helpful if he learns how to keep customers when they are about to leave.
Who Needs Skills On Keeping Customers From Leaving
Communication by correspondence is necessary in three cases:
- The company has a social media profile, promoting useful and sales data for potential customers.
- The company is engaged in mailing clients listed in its social media database. A lack of communication skills from a sales manager may lead to losing clients. Therefore, he must be able to keep a constructive dialogue with a customer.
- The company has a website, including a feedback window (support chat).
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Selling By Correspondence
Chatting by correspondence has its cons and pros.
- You can communicate with multiple customers at once, alternating chats and answering messages.
- You have a lot of time to think of the correct answer. If the sales manager is inexperienced, it can be difficult for him to come up with the right solution, deal with a problematic customer, or adequately assess the problem.
- Two-step communication. Marketers and psychologists state that the most effective way to persuade a customer to buy something is to use a “correspondence + call” combo. When writing a message, the seller establishes an emotional connection and trust. After he wins the customer’s trust, it will be easier for a salesperson to encourage his client to buy something during a phone call.
- In the case, when the customer fills out an application on the website requiring a subsequent call, he may miss the call due to some reasons. Thus, the seller faces the risk of losing clients. Messengers and mailing services solve this problem.
- The customer does not have to respond to a message at once. He has time to think about products or services.
The novelty of this communication type caused many difficulties:
- People are used to traditional ways of selling services and goods. When a customer asks them about the cost or availability, they give a brief review of what is needed instead of details.
- The procedure takes much time. The salesperson responds immediately, while the customer responds when it is comfortable for him.
- If a potential customer wants to refuse from concluding a deal, he often ignores a salesperson’s messages.
Top 7 Tips To Avoid Losing A Customer
If you want your correspondence to be successful, you should follow several rules. The main rule addresses the company’s head: he should entrust responding messages to specialists, not ordinary operators. Here are seven simple but efficient tips you can use to set contacts with customers:
Do not use clichés
Messages with standard, impersonal benefits (e.g., flexible prices, a wide range, the highest quality service) repel customers. Instead, you should formulate your thoughts less officially and more specifically:
- Clear prices;
- Delivery dates;
- The number of items or services in the assortment.
Specify a price range
The cost of a product or service significantly affects sales. Some people look for quality, while others – focus on their budget. If the customer asks about the price of a particular item, it will be great to specify the price range for products of a specific category. For example, if a client asks about a small kettle, you can tell him the price, mentioning that there are also cheaper and more expensive options that are no less good than the item he asks about. How can this help?
- A rich assortment shows that the company has products for all budgets. Thus, before moving to your competitors, he will first consider buying a cheaper option from you.
- It encourages further communication. If the chat operator answered one-way (e.g., “This model costs $100.”), the client would read the message and leave the website without responding to it.
Do Not Waste Time
Giving a customer some time to think is good, but excessive silence is harmful to business growth. If the client stays silent for too long, you should remind him of you by sending information about new products based on his purchase history. The salesperson should follow the rules of etiquette and remind 24 hours after the message is read.
Watch Customers’ Selection Criteria
A seller should always be aware of his clients’ needs. He should carry out regular analysis of his target audience and its search queries. He should show that the company is ready to meet the needs of all its customers.
- Suppose the cost is the primary selection criterion. In that case, the seller can specify the required price and note about discount programs to show that the customer will benefit from buying from his company.
- If the customer focuses on terms of production/delivery, then the seller should mention that the service/product will be delivered faster specially for him.
- When discussing an assortment, a seller should mention services/products related to the customer’s choice. He should clarify what exactly a client needs and what for. Thus, the customer will feel that his needs are important. A positive impression from communication will encourage him to get back to your company again.
Ask The Phone Number
When asking for a phone number, it is crucial to mention that the client will be individually informed about the new assortment, sales, seasonal discount programs, etc.
End the message with a call to action
The seller must manage the conversation. It is recommended that you periodically invite the customer to move to the next level.
For example, using the following suggestions:
- Do you want us to send you samples? (a catalogue, a price list)
- Let me write you down for a free consultation with our maintenance specialist;
- How about a personal meeting? Are you comfortable if I drive up at 2 PM on Monday? (If you live in one city with the customer)
If the client sees a question at the end of the message, it is psychologically more difficult for him to ignore the message.
Thank Your Customer
It is always vital to Thank your client for visiting your company’s website, purchasing products or services, etc. Thus, you will build a positive impression and show that the customer is always welcome.
The awareness about the basic correspondence rules allows companies to increase their trade turnover. Even if the seller could not bring the client to the contract conclusion, he builds a database that can be later used for sending promotional messages and informing.
About the Author
John Edwards is a writing specialist who works at The Writing Judge and Online Writers Rating. He is looking for ways of self-development in the field of writing and blogging. New horizons in his beloved business always attract with their varieties of opportunities. Therefore, it is so important for him to do the writing.