File sets: my sets - public sets
There is some inconsistency:
1) If i create a file set by clicking the button File Sets - Add File Set, i will not be asked if i want to create it as "Public" or "My Set" set, it's always public.
2) If i create a file set right after uploading files, forgetting to check the checkbox "Make File Set public", it's private. So here it's private as default.
It would be nice to have the choice of file set types in both cases, and also to be able to change the type of existing file sets.
I recommend going through the GitHub issues and seeing if there is an issue for it (in both closed and open issues).
If there isn't an issue for this, you could post one requesting the feature.
I had a look on Git as Dilkington suggested and foundhttps://github.com/concrete5/concrete5/issues/2302... the issue was closed but I can't tell if it was resolved or not. (not really savvy with github)
I checked again and don't see an option to switch file sets from Public to My Set and back. The GitHub fix may have been for something else
As well it should be possible to specify a special file set for every user / group.
For instance, if admin 1 has created a private fileset with custom permissions enabled where full access is defined for the administrators group, it's still not accessible to other admins.
This is confusing...
Here is how I managed to change a private file set to public file set using Concrete 188.8.131.52, use at your own risk, DO database backup before everything else and test-test-test (even if I have not noticed any issue so far) :
- Access your website database with PhpMyAdmin or any other method,
- go to table "FileSets" which contains your file sets,
- you need to change the "fsType" field for each file set you want to make public or private, put "0" for private file set and "1" for public file set.
I hope it helps.
"Changing a file set from private to public isn't really feasible – private sets are completely for organization and public sets can have permissions on them.
The checkbox could probably stand to be checked by default, so that file sets are public by default. File sets created through the Dashboard are always public.
If you accidentally create a set of the wrong type, just delete it and re-create it."
Current state of the issue: closed.
IMO, public by default has got to be the logical approach. Make the tick box "my set" instead.
"The checkbox could probably stand to be checked by default" doesn't sound like this is going to get resolved soon.