Upgrading to 5.7
But first, is 5.7a at a stage where upgrading is a good idea? Should I hold off a bit more until it is more stable?
Also, if I choose to go to 5.7a, will I have to do a clean install and transfer my site over to that? It doesn't show up in the Upgrade Concrete5 like with previous releases. If so what is the best way to transfer it over without bringing my site down for a long time? I have had a bad experience with moving a site before and am hoping it will be a lot easier this time around.
As far as I know, there is no upgrade path planned. You will have to start from scratch in 5.7 and compatible add-ons could be months or years away. Almost none (actually none) of the current add-ons will work in 5.7 so you are at the mercy of mostly volunteer developers to upgrade their add-ons. Your guess is as good as mine whether that will ever happen or not.
5.7 is very much in beta so I would not suggest building anything important with it yet.
There is no upgrade path planned as far as I know either, there have been murmurings of a migration tool but nothing concrete has come of that (no pun intended). I'd also avoid trying to build anything production related on what's currently available. Mainly because it's still buggy and you wouldn't want a botched database to start your site off with. I personally won't be recommending any of my clients to move to 5.7 until it has been in production for at least a month and seems relatively stable.
I'm 100% behind the 5.7 development efforts and the long term goals of the project, I just simply would not feel responsible recommending this product to start developing a production website on, not yet anyway. I do feel that day will come but we're just not there yet is all.
We added that bug tracker here after oscon last friday because we were noticing people who don't have github accounts trying 5.7 out and asking us how to submit bugs. I'm sure Andrew would prefer working out of github as we've moved all our own issue tracking there per earlier community requests on transparency.
What percentage of the concrete5 community have the slightest interest in getting a GitHub account? The bugs you hear about from 'the common man' are just as important as the bugs found by developers. Perhaps they are not expressed as eloquently and there are a lot of 'noise' reported but I think you are putting up a huge barrier to hearing what people think by pushing everyone to GitHub. Most of the time, we developers know way too much about how things work and we are not capable of seeing things through less-informed eyes.
I'm not sure if the tool to do so already exists and I can't talk from Franz, but from what I understood, there should be a tool which does a 95% job.
I understand many of the 5.7 frustration concerns at hand, but I disagree. 5.7 is being built with everyone in mind, developers, designers and editors - with each one benefiting off one-another. We hope 5.7 to revolutionize concrete5 as a whole for both developer and client as a whole.
Yes, current marketplace items will most-likely have to be upgraded, where we will in touch shortly with more information as 5.7 stabilizes, BUT make no mistake, 5.7 is the future of concrete5 and we as a core team are in it 186%.
You do have some truth about the marketplace items, in which is we are still drawing up some motivation ideas…
BUT I eager the opposite - there is NO BETTER TIME TO THINK ABOUT 5.7 THAN NOW. PM me about your concerns for questions and I will forward them on.
As far as I can tell, virtually no significant changes have been made in the design and workflow since 5.7WIP that would reflect the feedback you guys already requested and received.
We've done that internally to keep the door open for possibility and question every decision with "but what about backwards compatibility?" This isn't a strategy we'd entertain more than once every few years, but it's been 5 years of maintaining backwards compatibility at this point...
That being said so far its not far off. Layouts are going to be pretty un-upgradeable, and theres some significant changes to how page types work. I think migrate is the right idea but I feel like Remo is on the right track. Perhaps a "import your old content" type experience is in order.
5.7 is a beta at the moment, so no I wouldn't suggest running a live site you care a lot about off of it today (July 28th) but I expect that to be a different story in weeks.