500 returned from 8.3.2 -> 8.4.0RC4 upgrade

v8.3.2
Copied the site into a sub-directory, copied the database and pointed database.php to the new database. Went to the new duplicated site to ensure it functions.

Downloaded the latest RC from today and replaced the old concrete directory with the new one (renamed the old one to save it).

Went to website and the browser immediately received a 500 error status. Switched back to the old concrete directory and the site functions fine. Repeat and same error is immediately returned.

Any ideas or things I should try?

[Edit]
Sorry, forgot to add PHP v7.0.29

softwallcave replied on at Permalink Reply
Well gosh, I was hoping for some idea as to why a the site just does not respond at all when following the instructions to do an update. The command line version is unavailable, as the site runs on a shared machine and I can only get jailshell, which denies access to most anything.

So any ideas as to what to try to determine why 8.4 is completely unresponsive would be helpful.

Thanks.
A3020 replied on at Permalink Reply
A3020
Do you have access to the server logs?
No, I am stuck in a sub-directory with no access to /var.

One interesting thing in tracing the boot sequence is that vendor/composer/autoload_real.php loops through a list of required files, the first being vendor/sympfony/polyfill-mbstring/bootstrap.php. But there is no vendor/symfony directory in v8.4.0RC4. At least the one I downloaded from the provided link on this website. So that would explain why it just up and dies.
A3020 replied on at Permalink Reply
A3020
I just downloaded 8.4.0RC4 fromhttp://www.concrete5.org/download... but when I unzip the file, I do see a /concrete/vendor/symfony folder (and the polyfill-mbstring sub folder)

Are you sure you unpacked / copied all files correctly?
Yeah, me too now. So I guess I got lucky and received some bad copy that someone corrected. Will try again.
Yipee! It's not dead! Update seems to have functioned. Ran from the command line eventually.

...except that Composer does not function. Oh well, maybe the next RC.

Exception Occurred: /...../concrete/src/Application/Service/Composer.php:26 Argument 1 passed to Concrete\Core\Application\Service\Composer::displayButtons() must be an instance of PageType, instance of Concrete\Core\Page\Type\Type given, called in /......../concrete/views/panels/details/page/composer.php on line 29 (0)

Looks like it got fixed. Hopefully a new RC soon.