custom attributes pagetype default don't apply to new pages ?

Permalink 4 users found helpful
Hi,

Is there a reason why we cant specify a default values in a pagetype Custom Attributes?

Ie.: One of my pagetype need to have Exclude from autonav and pagelist with YES checked by default but when I save the DEFAULT of that pagetype, it does not save the value of the exclude custom attributes.

Is that a bug?

Thanks for the help

olacom

vGibson replied on at Permalink Reply
vGibson
I would also like to know this. I would like to be able to set some custom attributes to my page defaults so I do not have to create them each time I create a new page.
jordanlev replied on at Permalink Reply
jordanlev
It's not a bug, it was just never built to do that. The whole page defaults thing is very messy and confusing. I submitted some patches to remove the toolbar buttons that don't actually do anything there from the next version of the system, but that of course doesn't solve your problem (just makes it clearer that you can't solve it that way).

BTW, I made an addon to help address the problem where you want all of the pages under a certain section excluded:
http://www.concrete5.org/marketplace/addons/autonav-exclude-subpage...

May or may not be help with your specific situation though.
andrew replied on at Permalink Reply
andrew
Yeah, not technically a bug, but still disappointing that it doesn't work that way. We're looking at fixing this in the next version of concrete.
garyam replied on at Permalink Reply
garyam
Ditto on need for this -- I'll try the AutoNav Exclude Subpages plugin in the meantime to see if that works.
garyam
Nope, plugin does not work -- I'll instruct the client that after creating a new product, she will have to ALSO edit each individual product page, edit the properties, add custom attribute "exclude from nav", check that, save and then save page. Otherwise, people will not be able to visit the "shop" and will only see subpages.

So, keeping my fingers crossed that "default attributes on Page Type will carry over to created pages" may be in the next version of Concrete! thanks...
jordanlev
Autonav Exclude From Subpages should work for your situation -- the latest version (released a few months ago) includes another setting called "Exclude Subpages" which you can set on your top-level catalog pages and then it will keep that one in the nav but hide all subpages. Note that for the addon to work you must apply it's custom template to your autonav blocks (which should be either in your Page Defaults or hard-coded into your theme templates).

-Jordan
garyam
Thanks, jordanlev. The reason I cannot apply a template to the autonav block I'm using is that I already am applying the Accordion Menu template to the autonav.
jordanlev
And by the way, if you're somewhat development/programming oriented, I recently made a new custom template for the autonav block that includes all of the "exclude subpage" features and is also super duper easy to customize (unlike the built-in template which is quite messy):
https://raw.github.com/jordanlev/c5_clean_block_templates/master/aut...

(if you're not familiar with how to build themes or custom templates, though, this won't do you much good -- but the Autonav Exclude Subpages addon will work fine as I mentioned earlier).
andrew replied on at Permalink Reply
andrew
It is at the top of the list for 5.5.
jordanlev
This is really great news to hear! Will open up a lot of new out-of-the-box functionality.
garyam
Great, good to hear!
russellfeeed replied on at Permalink Reply
russellfeeed
Did this make it into 5.5?