Sorting many (>100) pages in a sitemap

I have a page that contains as sub-pages beneath it, about 240 blog pages.

Is there any way to re-sort them in the Sitemap page?

It breaks into 3 pages when I go into flat mode, but I can't push pages past the page-break boundaries. This means that unless I'm only sorting on-that-page, I have to either push the page to the top of the list of the bottom of the list, a process that appears to take a couple minutes for each page.

Is there a quick way to, for example, "sort all pages under this page by [parameter]" where [parameter] might be "page name" or "posting date" or something? It seems to have suddenly jumped to something that feels a little random.

Thanks!

EdwardMartinIII

EdwardMartinIII replied on at Permalink Reply
EdwardMartinIII
This is very frustrating -- I've spent several hours sorting using the "Send to Top" and "Send to bottom" controls and then suddenly, it's as if the pages are randomly re-arranged.

What could possibly be causing this?!

There's no rhyme or reason that I can see why this is happening.

I tried going to the page that displays the blog posts, and tell it to display posts in posting-order, which LOOKS good, but in each post, the "next post" and "previous post" links are whatever seemingly random crazy-ass order the sitemap decides it's going to do now.

I'm open to suggestions, ideas, etc. This is crazymaking.
EdwardMartinIII
Actually, I care less about what's causing it and mostly just want a way to sort the 242 pages quickly in the sitemap.

Ideas? Suggestions?
mesuva replied on at Permalink Reply
mesuva
Try adding to your site.php file in /config:

define('SITEMAP_PAGES_LIMIT', '300');

From my quick test, this changes the number of pages it will display before it paginates in the flat view of the sitemap.
EdwardMartinIII
Ah, that's slick. I bumped it up to 600 for now.

The random re-ordering still puzzles the heck out of me, but I was able to tell the blog pages' forward-and-back links to use post order instead of sitemap order.

So that's a patch.
mikelaye replied on at Permalink Reply
This problem seems to be something to do with the paging. Moving items on the first page seems to keep the order fine, but changing anything on the 2nd page completely destroys the order. I think it's a coding issue with multiple pages, it doesn't seem to understand which page it's actually on.
EdwardMartinIII
Heh -- should be interesting -- I'll be hitting 600 pages in another month or so. Right now, when I open that section of the sitemap, it takes a LONG time to render.

I'm a little leery about what'll happen when i bump it up further.
pacija replied on at Permalink Reply
I just ran into this problem. More than 400 pages got randomly shuffled, and I am using sitemap order. I spent hours to get them in correct order by sending one by one to the end. Is it possible that no one paid any attention to this for more than a year?
EdwardMartinIII
Between 550 and 600, it just became intolerable, plus my page-load time was approaching 30 seconds each.

I found a solution, but it's probably not the one most people would take.

I wiped out the entire c5 installation and rebuilt the site as a flat HTML site. The sections that were bloglike I rebuilt in WordPress and installed into subdomains.

Now I have full organizational capability, plus my page load times have dropped to less than a second per page.