Release: Beginner's guide to editing v1.0

Permalink 2 users found helpful
Hello all

(I'm starting a new thread because the other one went off on a tangent a bit)

Below is a link to the second draft of my concrete5 beginner's guide to editing. It's designed for clients who will be editing websites, so as such it doesn't cover the Dashboard or any development topics. In time I'll extend it to cover those parts of the Dashboard which are relevant to clients.

The idea is to have a document which you can hand to a client once their concrete5 site is live, which will allow them to make most edits without any training. The WYSIWYG editing in c5 is fantastic, but it still requires some instruction. My intention with this document is to move as much of that as possible to a printed/PDF guide which clients can refer to, which will make our lives as designers/developers that little bit easier.

The document is Creative Commons licensed, which means you can tweak it yourself and alter it for your own needs, provided that:

1) you keep the attribution to me somewhere on it, like this: (c) Laurence Diver http://www.39stepsstudio.com
2) you share any resulting document you create from it under the same license, so we can all benefit from any improvements you make.

More info on the Creative Commons license can be found here:http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/scotland/...

If you want to opt out of any of that, contact me and we can come to some kind of arrangement.

Future: better quality images, vanilla concrete5 logo, Dashboard content, etc etc
v1.0: tweaked some text and the cover. Uploading in ODT format so others can remix it.
v0.9: first draft. Basic text and images in place, simple design, nothing fancy.

I've uploaded an ODT version, so you're free to play around with it as much as you like, and a PDF version, if you just want that as it is.

Hope you find it useful.

(ODT version)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s9fgr839yc4z456/concrete5_beginners_g...

(PDF version)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3kuxm4uiybb8fiq/concrete5_beginners_g...

(the concrete5 forum still can't handle large (1mb) attachments, it seems, so I've uploaded it on Mediafire instead).

Laurence

melat0nin
View Replies:
melat0nin replied on at Permalink Reply
melat0nin
Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/amendments/improvements? There have been almost 60 downloads..
twellsadmin replied on at Permalink Reply
Brilliant - just the job for training content editors in my organisation. If we update it with extra instructions, we will post it back up here.

Thanks!
myFullFlavour replied on at Permalink Reply
myFullFlavour
Can you supply the ODT is another form (i.e. doc or pages format?).

Having issues opening the ODT in Word on Mac.
melat0nin
If you download LibreOffice (libreoffice.org - free and f/oss word processor) you'll be able to open/edit it fine.
ea1958 replied on at Permalink Reply
ea1958
Thank you, Laurence.
I hope to go through it soon, as I am gung-ho to get started.
I'll let you know how it goes, or is going, soon, I hope.
eric
ea1958
to page 6, so far
1) I like "Quick-Start" better than "Beginner's Guide", though if handed a printed copy it may be clear, but until I finally opened the digital file, I was confusing it with a guide like Remo's that is due soon on Amazon (what I am confusing his with, I do not yet know).
2) At Logging In; unauthorized is spelled with an 's'???
3)At Editing Pages; would "(the Content block)" be better pluralized (the Content blocks)???
Eric
melat0nin
I'm a Brit so 'authorised' is spelled with an 's' ;)
ea1958
When in the Kingdom..., good to know.
melat0nin
I didn't pluralise it on purpose, because I'm referring to a class of block rather than individual (or numerous) instances of it. Thought I'd bring a touch of OO to the document :)
ea1958
Hi Laurence,
The only other thing that I didn't understand was the word 'underlined' on page 14. I didn't see any underlining on the printed pages that I have so was wondering if you meant 'underlying'.
Wait... I found another note. You talk about File Manager at the top of page 11, and have an image of a selection button next to the Dashboard button, but in my version (5.4.1.1) it is a subfolder to Dashboard.
Thanks for posting it. I seemed t stumble along, researching C5, then researching hosts, then installing, but when I edited my first block, it was like a whole new world opened up. Great fun!
Eric
PS-I wonder what a good guide would be, for me, be to continue from the end of yours. Do you suggest a route?
melat0nin
By underlined I meant the properties in the list which are ...underlined ;) They are clickable and can be changed, as shown in the accompanying image.

The File Manager button in that image can be added to the Toolbar by checking the relevant boxes on the bottom-left of the Sitewide Settings page on the Dashboard. That's available in 5.4.1.1. - just check those boxes and away you go.

Not sure about a continuation guide, although I know Remo has an upcoming hardcopy book about c5 which presumably goes into a lot more detail than this. But I think it's for a different audience - this is intended as an intro for clients who might be daunted by a whole book (this isn't Drupal, after all...), but it might be right up your street. Do a google search for Remo concrete5 manual and I'm sure it'll come up :)
oakleafg replied on at Permalink Reply
This is great, really needed something like this. One question, what version were you using when you did the screen grabs as I really like the way the Upload Complete window looks on page 12. The newsiest version of concrete doesn't look like this!! Really like how you can see the sets to the right.
melat0nin
Yeah I liked that too. I think it must be 5.4.1. I'm not sure why they changed it - I thought it was nicer too :)

(will need to update the manual to reflect this, although if you want to do it yourself you can download the ODT and insert your own screenshot).
designportfolio replied on at Permalink Reply
designportfolio
Hi all,
We have produced an online user guide for our clients which covers all the basics for adding/editing content and managing various aspects of custom attributes, file management etc.
http://manual.design-portfolio.co.uk...

We are still reviewing our PDF guide but most of our clients will use the online version as we can keep this updated.