500 Internal Server Error after updating website to failed

Not sure if this is the right forum to post my problem to, if not please let me know to which forum my problem belongs.

After logging in to the website yesterday (www.dutchessdoodles.nl) I received a popup telling me that I could update concrete to Having not changed anything since the last backup I made (and downloaded), I decided to update the website. After clicking on update, the page took forever and a lifetime to load, only to show up blank. Now I can't log in to my dashboard, nor can I load any of the pages on the site; they all show up blank. I have tried to load and log in to the site on various browsers and all showed up blank, except for Internet Explorer, which gave me a 500 internal server error page.
I have tried looking through the logs on the server but my limited knowledge on the technical side of things, renders my unable to find anything that might give the slightest hint towards the cause and nature of this error and how it might be solved.

The only thing I have noticed is that after the alleged glitch the following seems to repeat itself a lot (about 40 times):

2014-11-08 14:53:00 W3SVC3539 WSWWW47 GET /updates/concrete5.6.3.1_updater/concrete/js/jquery.js - 80 - HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(Macintosh;+Intel+Mac+OS+X+10_10)+AppleWebKit/600.1.25+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Version/8.0+Safari/600.1.25 CONCRETE5=a60037102e9d56c529c48269023f432eef7a30b5;+no_trackyy_100699588=1;+__utma=89782926.672519561.1407317166.1415381769.1415458372.32;+__utmb=89782926.1.10.1415458372;+__utmc=89782926;+__utmz=89782926.1407317166.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none);+_eventqueue=%7B%22heatmap%22%3A%5B%5D%2C%22events%22%3A%5B%5D%7D;+_first_pageview=1;+_jsuid=521661929http://www.dutchessdoodles.nl/index.php/dashboard/...http://www.dutchessdoodles.nl 200 0 0 318 877 0

Again, due to my limited knowledge on the technical side of things, I don't know whether the above mentioned is of any significance and if so, how it might help me to fix the problem.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated

View Replies:
mhawke replied on at Permalink Reply
You could try editing the config/site.php file and commenting out the line that points concrete5 to the update folder. This should allow your site to use it's previous version and at least bring it back up again.

When you say that it took a long time to update. That might indicate that the update process died before being completed leaving you with problems. Before I click that 'Update' button, I always make sure that my website is acting 'snappy'. If it's sluggish, then that might indicate that the server is too busy at the moment to complete an upgrade fast enough to avoid 'timing out' before completing.
Dutchessd00dles replied on at Permalink Reply
Hi mhwake,

Thanks for answering. I took a look at the site.php file and found the following line:

define('PASSWORD_SALT', 'Qf8xCPN4OY8mYz8QM9DzHV16gkENhmJ1BPznbf22LPt5TWSkj3nEeB7Ly0bleOsF');?><?php ?><?php ?><?php ?><?php ?><?php define('DIRNAME_APP_UPDATED', 'concrete5.6.3.2');?>

As a complete amateur with these things, I wasn't quite sure what you meant with commenting it out. I tried editing it by replacing with or even but I didn't notice any difference after saving. I also tried deleting the entire line and just the last bit php define('DIRNAME_APP_UPDATED'..., which only led to the website loading a page full of code, which I gathered was not good.

For next time, I will definitely check to make sure that the website is working as it should be and think twice before pressing the update button
Dutchessd00dles replied on at Permalink Reply
Problem Solved! And the solution was embarrassingly simple, all I had to do was download concrete5.6.3.2 and manually upload it to my updates folder.