500 Internal Server Error

When I try and acess my sites it gives me this message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@acachurch.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

They have been working fine for months. Any insight as to why this would be happening?

Thanks

joemalleck

Remo replied on at Permalink Reply
Remo
apache upgrade, concrete5 upgrade, mod_security problems, updated htaccess file..

The log file tells you everything! Without it, there are too many possible reasons..
joemalleck replied on at Permalink Reply 1 Attachment
joemalleck
Here's the error log for today -Attached
joemalleck replied on at Permalink Reply 1 Attachment
joemalleck
Error Log Attached
joemalleck replied on at Permalink Reply
joemalleck
It does say something about mod_security in there.
joemalleck replied on at Permalink Reply
joemalleck
Seems to be working now. Weird. Thanks.
Remo
mod_security problems usually only happens with certain pages, actions.. You might get that error again, depending on what you do.
Remo
what are the calls to missing.html? C5 doesn't have a missing.html file..

But there's not that much in the error file, try to disable the htaccess file
admin replied on at Permalink Reply
I just started receiving this error also after a couple of months into my installation and use of C5 for our web site.

What logs are important for troubleshooting this and what should I be looking for?

The Add Functionality page in the dashboard is the only one that I receive this error on. I do not remember the last time I successfully accessed the page so I don't actually know when it started. The last time I accessed the page was probably when I installled the Discussions add-on a few days ago.

I don't know if this was the cause, but following is an explanation of what I was doing immediately before I started seeing the issue.

I installed the Discussions add-on a few days ago and was creating the pages to enable the forum. I was continually experiencing something weird with the pages (they kept getting created with "Exclude from nav" checked) so I decided to uninstall then re-install the add-on. I was in the Sitemap in the Dashboard, I clicked on "Add Functionality" in the dashboard, but before the page loaded I decided to delete the forum pages so I clicked on the page and selected Delete. When I then clicked on Add Functionality again I started seeing the 500 error.

Any ideas on where to start with this?
More info from my DB records:

Installed Discussions Add-On 2012-01-09 16:20:59
Installed Downloads List Add-On 2012-01-09 16:21:46

Could there perhaps be a conflict with one of these add-ons that is causing the "Add Functionality" page to not display? I was able to use the Discussions functionality successfully (adding blocks, creating pages, etc., except for the "exclude from nav" issue mentioned previously) but never attempted to use the Downloads List add-on.
Brainakazariua replied on at Permalink Reply
Brainakazariua
Like the message indicates it's a server error.

The error usually points towards the read-write-execute rights on files/folders or to the files/folders having a wrong user/group appointed to them.

In this case I suggest you check those or contact your hosting provider to check them for you.
As I posted above, I was receiving this error. My site admin determined that there was a misbehaving block file. I had copied an existing and attempted to modify it but apparently failed miserably. He removed the offending files from the server and I was able to access the "Add Functionality" page as usual.