Fails to install 8.1, though no error messages
After each failed attempt I drop all tables from the database, which seems to have been populated OK.
The first attempt was asking for sample data, with file permissions set at 755
The second time was for just a clean install, with file permissions set at 755
The third attempt was asking for sample data, with file permissions set at 777
By default the file permissions were set at 705 which the installation process seemed happy about, though I changed them anyway, though not recursively.
Linux server, PHP 5.6, MySQL 5.1
[later] A little bit more on this, I just went throungh exacvtly the same process to install 22.214.171.124 (with sample data) and no problems.