SMTP / Office365 issue - v8.0.3

We are in the process of evaluating and selecting a new CMS. We have installed and ran several Bitnami CMS Stacks (Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, Liferay..) Sofar C5 appeals to us the most. But we have one major issue, in fact a really showstopper if we can not solve it:
We can not get the SMTP function working in C5 for sending emails via our Office365 account, whatever we try.

We use and configured the external SMTP method using our Office365 email account. C5 is running on a VM In the same subnet where other vm's are running with applications that also use the SMTP service via our Office365 account, so network issues are not very likely, but of course tested.

Nb. On Joomla and Liferay we needed to use the extra STARTTLS command. In C5 this is not provided as an option.

I have read many post here about SMTP and some in relation to Office365 but can not find a working solution. We installed the Bitnami Stack that is based on C5 version 5.7.5.9.1 and updated later on to 8.0.3

The basic issue and error message is (before changing or editing any php or anything else):
The following error was found while trying to send the test email: 5.7.60 SMTP; Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

This error message suggests us that it is denied by Office365 SMTP server because the sender is not recognized, probably based on a default “example@mydomein.com” fake address somewhere deep down in some ini file.

Question:
- Where can I find the relevant setting for the “send-from”
- If that does not help, can I add the STARTTLS command in one of the ini-files

Can someone give me a tip for a solution?

Best regards
Ashley Pietersen

apietersen

apietersen replied on at Permalink Reply
apietersen
In de logfile I saw log of the failed email after an new registration:

This makes clear to me that there is an setting pointing to: concrete5-noreply@concrete5

where can I find these setting?

regards
Ashley
Cahueya replied on at Permalink Best Answer Reply
This is defined in /root/concrete/config/concrete.php

on line 334 you find

'default' => array(
            'address' => 'concrete5-noreply@concrete5',
            'name' => '',
        ),

If you want to override this, it has to go in /root/application/config
apietersen replied on at Permalink Reply 1 Attachment
apietersen
Hi Cahueya,

Thanks, that worked, although the directory .. /root/... I could not find. Searched for the concrete.php file and found approx 10 files. See attachement. I all changed the email-setting in these files (>20kb) to be sure . After a restart it worked.

Suggestion:
I wonder why this email setting is not part of the common site-administration. It would save a lot of time. I think it is rather obvious that many email platform (like Office365) will never accept this default email address because of relaying. Nonetheless it is working now. Thanks!

regards
Ashley
Cahueya replied on at Permalink Reply
Ah sorry, /root/ is just the directory of your webserver wherever your concrete5 install resides.

I dont think this should be changed in any other file than the one I've mentioned and if you do not override it by placing it in /applications/config/... your changes will be lost once you update your concrete5 core installation.

Have a look here
http://documentation.concrete5.org/tutorials/override-almost-any-co...