Upgrade to 5.7.5.10 no sweat - version 8.0 won't run

Permalink
Hi C5,

Upgraded my site to 5.7.5.10 without a single glitch.
Tried to go to version 8.0 from the dashboard but dashboard could not find an update so I went the manual installation route - downloaded version 8.0, removed everything except the concrete folder, uploaded and extracted that in the updates/ directory, back to dashboard which now saw the upgrade, checked my add-ons for compatibility, clicked on upgrade and bang:

Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\InvalidFieldNameException thrown with message "An exception occurred while executing..... (see attachment for the entire error).

Thinking I am not unique, I looked at the forums and saw Andrew's post about needing php 5.5.9+... went back to my cPanel and moved the php up to 5.6.

Still nothing. Please help!\\Thanks

1 Attachment

MarcYBB
View Replies:
MarcYBB replied on at Permalink Reply
MarcYBB
I got my 5.7.10 site back...phew.
Joncope replied on at Permalink Reply
I'm in a similar position - site currently in limbo. Could you please explain what steps you took to get back to 5.7.5.10 and get that working? Thanks for any help you can give.
Joncope replied on at Permalink Reply
I'm in a similar position - site currently in limbo. Could you please explain what steps you took to get back to 5.7.5.10 and get that working? Thanks for any help you can give.
novaforb replied on at Permalink Reply
I have the same problem. How did you fix it?
MarcYBB replied on at Permalink Reply
MarcYBB
I undid my steps - the way I went about the upgrade was to download version 8.0, delete all files in folder except the Concrete folder, replaced the Concrete folder in my public_html directory with the downloaded version 8 Concrete. Then I went to my cPAnel hosting account and upgraded my php version to 5.7 (you need minimum php 5.6 to run Concrete 8.0).
So after the crash, I undid my steps (deleted the Concrete 8.0 folder that I had just placed in public_html with the Concrete folder I had just trashed with version 5.10). Kept my php at 5.7 though.
Joncope replied on at Permalink Reply
Thanks for explaining your method Marc. I had tried that upgrade method on a version running on my desk machine under XAMPP but it produced error messages so I backed out of that in the same way you did, and that worked fine. I also tried that upgrade method on my remote site on a server but it didn't seem to see the new version and carried on as 5.7.5.10 for some reason.

I then uploaded the zipped download of 8.0.0 to the server and unpacked it, whereupon my site saw it as an available upgrade through the dashboard - as it had earlier with 5.7.5.10 - and all the add-ons were ticked green so I assumed (one should never do that of course) that it would work, but it didn't and I got a different error message.

I had saved a copy of the earlier 5.7.5.10 concrete file under a different name, but the stalled upgrade must have amended other files and so it would not revert to the earlier version when I renamed my concrete files again.

I have recovered my site through the back-up I took just before attempting the first upgrade, so on reinstall was back at 5.7.5.8 which I have again successfully upgraded to 5.7.5.10 via the dashboard. I will now wait until the Forum posts suggest that a later version of 8 has resolved a few more of the inevitable bugs. It must have been a major undertaking for the developer team and they won't catch everything first time round, but it's good it's getting close and some people clearly have had no issues. I just hope someone will respond to my own post so that I can get some idea of what, in my site, has caused the failure I had.
MarcYBB replied on at Permalink Reply
MarcYBB
It was probably this file: application/config/update.php
The file is created upon installation and contains version numbers and so on to verify installs. If you manage to replace the previous Concrete 5.7.10 folder, deleting update.php should get you running, it worked for me.
Joncope replied on at Permalink Reply
I'll make a note of all this Marc in case it happens again. Thanks
oimel replied on at Permalink Reply
oimel
I have exactly the same error when trying to update from 5.7.10 to 8.0. What's wrong here? I thought they spent a lot of time in getting the upgrade mechanism right...? :-/ Fortunately I did the update on a copy and not on our production system...
MarcYBB replied on at Permalink Reply
MarcYBB
I wish I knew what to do - i'm glad to know that I'm not the only one getting that error... I guess i will have to exercise some patience while the developers work out the issue and post a fix...
MarcYBB replied on at Permalink Reply
MarcYBB
I wish I knew what to do - i'm glad to know that I'm not the only one getting that error... I guess i will have to exercise some patience while the developers work out the issue and post a fix...
andrew replied on at Permalink Reply
andrew
If you're having trouble updating it might be because your server lacks the resources to update all the things it needs to update before the actual browser times out.

I'd recommend running an update from the command line if this is the case:

http://documentation.concrete5.org/developers/installation/upgradin...