Upgrade to 5.3.1.1, forms don't email anymore

Hello,

After upgrading to Concrete 5.3.1.1, the form blocks are no longer sending email notifications like they used to. They results still appear in the dashboard, but my client needs to receive the email messages as well.

Any idea what could be wrong? Do I need to delete and recreate the form block?

elyon

frz replied on at Permalink Reply
frz
anyone else have this problem? perhaps its a server config issue?
katz515 replied on at Permalink Reply
katz515
Adding to Franz's comment...

I am wondering about which version did you upgrade from...

But if you upgraded from 5.2.1 to 5.3.1.1, it would be the server config issue.

concrete5.3.1 had a little modification for the mail notification function to support multi languages.

5.3.1 is now trying to use mb_send() function instead of mail() function.

So my assumption is your server's mb_send() is not functioning properly but mail() only.

Maybe, concrete5 should start thinking about using PHPMailer. It's LGPL license. So it wouldn't be issue for licensing.
elyon replied on at Permalink Reply
elyon
5.3 included the major update to the file browser, right? If that's the case, I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.3.1.1

That might be it. It's on a client's Windows server (webhost4life) which has been a lot more trouble than my own host (Linux, hostgator)

Maybe I should look into reverting controller.php and view.php for the Form block?
elyon replied on at Permalink Reply
elyon
I contacted my client's web server. Apparently they are slowly enforcing sites to include SMTP authentication.

I can see the code in mail.php that sends the message:

if (function_exists('mb_send_mail')) {
   mb_send_mail($to, $subject, $this->body, $header); 
} else {
   mail($to, $subject, $this->body, $header); 
}

I've never had to use SMTP authentication when working from a local PHP script before. Can anyone help me augment the script to support SMTP authentication?

Thank you!
JRS replied on at Permalink Reply
If you call the tech at your hosting company and ask about authenticating from inside a program residing on their server, you'll probably discover that SMTP Authentication (which is a fancy geek way of saying you need to submit your password for an account when you try to send with it) is only being required for *individual* email accounts. For a program like Concrete5 and its scripts (which are residing on the server itself and so access the server's mail functions directly) SMTP Authentication is irrelevant. The email sending from Concrete5 should continue to work just as it has been after the clamp down on requiring authentication on individual email accounts. At least that's how the techs athttp://www.hostmonster.com explained it to me.
gregdorrian replied on at Permalink Reply
gregdorrian
my block is sending emails but when they get them they are encrypted and i can't read them? can anyone help?
blokeybloke replied on at Permalink Reply
I am having this problem too, where the form notification email does not work, The websitehttp://www.akhter.co.uk is residing on a windows 2008 / IIS 7 server.

Can anybody advise on how I can get the form email notification working?

I need to add the ecommerce add-on to the website but this is holding things up, as I am not sure if the ecommerce will work if it works similar to the form function

Regards

Steve