Where's the installation video for Concrete5?

I remember seeing a full installation video for Concrete5 and I can't find it now. I think it's a huge barrier for many new users. An installation video from scratch and an upgrade video take little time, but reach out to so many people.

Even something on youtube would be great. Could someone kindly post the link to the video that was created before, but is difficult to find?

rufusrenn replied on at Permalink Reply
Bump. Anyone?
Bump again. I love this community. So helpful...
Remo replied on at Permalink Reply
Remo
I never saw a video but I usually don't care much about it. It's very likely that I haven't seen it even if it's there...

But is this note:http://www.concrete5.org/help/building_with_concrete5/installation/... not enough?
Thank you for the response. Finally someone took the time to do so. Much appreciated. However, the video was made as part of the "bouty" or something by a user. I remember seeing it a while back. I also think the user made an HTML tutorial with lots of screen shots. It was hosted here.

I can't find it. It was really useful. These forums and educational information is just really hard to find on this site. I wish things were more clear, and easier to navigate, efficient and simple, like their software. However, it's really a mess.
Remo
I guess you're talking about this:
http://www.concrete5.org/community/forums/bounties/_55_-_how-to_s...

this file?http://www.concrete5.org/download_file/-/1641...

unfortunately it's a bit specific for cpanel and therefore has a few parts that you have to ignore since cpanel is not that widely used..
Remo
what about this site:
http://www.nerdless.com/how_tos/how_to_install_concrete5_using_the_...

looks much easier to me but it's still about cpanel. you have to skip a few things there too but it's a bit easier to follow than the video.. imho..
frz replied on at Permalink Reply
frz
The video was removed at the author's request because it included passwords to his system.

There's an awful lot of content we need to organize here, and while I'll be the first to admit it'd be great if we had mounds more documentation and how-tos, I really don't believe our site is a "mess."

Compared to other software sites I think we've managed to find a rather elegant architecture for it to fall into.. Of course, I'm open for constructive criticism, what should we move where?

PS: I think we've also been more than clear that it's not really in the core team's interest to spend their time helping folks install concrete5 on every different server config under the sun, so if you're feeling neglected in here - that's probably not shocking.

I wish you we're having an easier time.
I did find a tutorial here on how to install Concrete5. It's been very helpful.

http://www.nerdless.com/how_tos/how_to_install_concrete5_using_the_...

With regards to the site, I really think there should be something like a youtube channel with video tutorials. Without more focus on educating people, especially CMS noobs, the base will have a hard time growing. Maybe it's an opportunity for 3rd party people. However, some base tutorials/hand holding is really missing. At the very least, there should be a step by step video tutorial on how to install through CPanel etc and how to do a proper update of the software to a newer version.

With regards to the site layout, I just find it's hard to find information, it's narrow and not a lot of threads on one page. The links at the bottom are a jumble. However, this is personal preference.

I honestly didn't want to poo poo in this thread. I really appreciate the responses for help that I've gotten. I so want to use Concrete5, as I see the potential and like a lot of what I see, however, it's not the easiest thing to get started with and moving forward, there just doesn't seem like there's a wealth of information available.

Someone needs to make something for Lynda.com etc. Get the word out!
frz replied on at Permalink Reply
frz
yeah i didn't mean to come off cranky, it was a bit early yesterday... I agree with you completely that our focus should be adding more screencasts. the one's we have in the how-tos seem to get a lot of visits, and i like that they can be shared through vimeo quite easily...

of course, it's important to point out that people also complain that we shouldn't be using screencasts, they're bandwidth intensive and hard to translate...

I think learning is one of those things where there are so many different ways to do it, you often end up sacrificing one method to fill out another. What I really would like to avoid is just LOTS of content on a page.. I personally find it difficult to pay attention to anything when I'm being given too much. That's why I rather liked the "using vs building" split we embrace in the architecture of this site. I recognize that sometimes a article or video could appear in both, but i think it fundamentally makes sense.

Soon as we get a minute, Andy and I will work on more videos.
WillemDaFoe replied on at Permalink Reply
WillemDaFoe
Or better installation instructions in the download. There wasn't much. So I came here to see if there was more info. Which was a bit difficult to find. Practically every host I've ever used has used cPanel, or a few with something enough like it that instructions can be somewhat generalized. Anything is better than nothing. I'm going to try C5 on my current hosted site to see how it works, so there will probably be more people who already have a hosted site than not.