Will upgrading to PHP 5.6/7/9 break concrete 5.6 sites?

Greetings,
I have a slew of concrete 5.6 sites on my VPS. In order to run concrete 5.7/8 I need to upgrade PHP to 5.6/7/or 9.

I certainly don't want to do this if such an upgrade will break the existing sites. This is the main reason I haven't upgraded a lot of the sites (besides having to buy new themes/add-ons, etc for them).

Does anyone have concrete 5.6 sites running under latest versions of PHP without issue?

Thanks in advance,

ssnetinc

CMSDeveloper replied on at Permalink Reply
CMSDeveloper
C5.6.x.x and PHP 7+ = a big nono
ssnetinc replied on at Permalink Reply
ssnetinc
Hi Peter,
Thanks for that info, it will be helpful. However, I was asking if upgrading the version of PHP on the server will break all the sites currently done in concrete 5.6. Upgrading PHP is necessary to even run concrete 5.8.

I know that upgrading PHP can sometimes break things written for a lower version. I was asking if someone has legacy concrete sites running under latest versions of PHP. There might have been confusion because we are talking about the same possible version numbers of both PHP and concrete.
ramonleenders replied on at Permalink Reply
ramonleenders
5.6 doesn't run on PHP 7.x, so if you don't do any changes, it will not work.

There is something on GitHub for fixing this "issue":

https://github.com/concrete5/concrete5-legacy/pull/1927...

That will keep you going on 5.6 and PHP version 7.
ssnetinc
Thanks for that. Kind of what I needed to know. I do have one client on BlueHost.com where I have both a 5.6 and 5.8 site running. Will have to check and see what version of PHP that server is running that supports both.
ssnetinc
OK, this is weird. On Bluehost.com, I used Softlicous or whatever auto-installer they have to install concrete 5.8. However, the PHP on that server is only 5.4.43.

When I just tried to install concrete 5.8 on my own VPS using the manually install method - I get the error that it requires PHP 5.5.9+ to run.

That obviously isn't correct since it is running fine under Bluehost on PHP 5.4.43.

Can anyone clarify how Softlicious can install it under PHP 5.4.43 but I can't manually.
AND, assume I want to upgrade my VPS to PHP 5.5.9 as requested by concrete install - will that break all the concrete 5.6 sites I currently have running.
ConcreteOwl replied on at Permalink Reply
ConcreteOwl
Concrete 5.6 will run on PHP 5.5.9.
Take a look at one of my 5.6 installs, as you will see from the phpinfo file it is running on PHP Version 5.6.30
http://www.deepsea.co.uk/phpinfo.php...

This info is from Bluehost..
You can change your PHP version by following these steps:

Under Programming click PHP Config.
Select the version of PHP you're interested in using.
Click Save Change
ssnetinc
Thanks for that info. Guess I can take the chance of upgrading PHP on the VPS to at least 5.5.9.

What's weird is I have both a concrete5.6 and 5.8 installed and running on a bluehost site and the PHP version there is only 5.4.43 -http://forcedaeromotive.com/phpinfo.php... - which shouldn't even run concrete 5.8.

Thanks again.
ssnetinc
Thanks to all for your responses.
My VPS is a WHM/cPanel system. I had the hosting service upgrade it to EasyApache4 - which gives me the option to designate a different version of PHP on a domain by domain basis.

All the concrete sites survived except for 3 - however, those came back up after I removed a line in the .htaccess file that called for a specific version of PHP.