Let's Define Area names?

As more users started to build their own theme, I suggest it's time to define the area name for the future compatibility.

Currently, the concrete5 default theme has the following areas.

1. Header Hav
2. Header
3. Main
4. Sidebar
5. Footer

I think we should try to include this as much as possible for our own theme so that when users switch the theme, they still can see the area. Otherwise, all blocks built in the custom area will disappear.

So I have a suggestion to define additional areas, especially when you create your own theme to submit it to the marketplace.

I came to think of it when I was trying to build a 3-column theme. (One Main area, and two side bar on the both site)

And here is my 1st suggestion. Let's just make it chronological order.

==========
Numbering
==========
Header 1
Header 2
Header 3
Header 4
Header 5
Header 6
Header 7
Header 8
Header 9
Sidebar 1
Sidebar 2
Sidebar 3
Sidebar 4
Sidebar 5
Sidebar 6
Sidebar 7
Sidebar 8
Sidebar 9

Plus, I would suggest to cerate "menu" area which is similar to "header nav". But Header Nav is supposed to be a global navigation.

Something like that...

I came up with this... because I think there will be some occasion that I sometime want to make sidebar area for LARGE scale site

---------
Sidebar
---------
Sidebar 1
---------
Sidebar 2
---------
Sidebar 3
---------

If you have so many pages, and sometime want to change the side bar... you can already add the block by using Page Type like this tutorial.

http://www.concrete5.org/help/editing/scrapbook_defaults/...

However, this Page Type default blocks ONLY adds the block at the bottom of area.

I understand the system of collection ordering in one area in concrete5. So I know why you can only add the additional block to the bottom of area.

But sometime you want to add something in the middle of the sidebar. So I came up with the solution above.

(Of course this requires careful planning of placement of area though)

Also, you may want to add 3-column block in between Header area and Main block
-------------------------------------
Header
| Box 1 | Box 2 | Box 3 | Sidebar
-------------------------- |
Main                          |
                                 |

And Box 1~3 could be Header 1, Header 2 and Header 3... something like that...

I'm only suggesting this so that we can share theme each other.

I want to write up some guideline since more Japanese users started designing their own themes.

katz515

frz replied on at Permalink Reply
frz
I want to be sure that as you get into the sequential stuff it jives with what Tony needs for his prototype grid tool...

I know the base areas we expect to be used first in our theme guidelines are:

* Sidebar
* Header Nav
* Header
* Footer

http://www.concrete5.org/help/building_with_concrete5/developers/th...
katz515 replied on at Permalink Reply
katz515
OK.. Yeah... I remembered that Tony was talking about this

http://www.concrete5.org/index.php?cID=5863...

And then we won't have to worry about these...

But just in case... I wanted to suggest that we should kinda clear the plan if some Theme creator wants to make more than the 5 default areas.

------------------------------------------

The below is only my thought for the large scale sites.

I think Tony's Grid solution would work for the most of the sites...

I'm actually trying to switch my magazine site to concrete5 which has about 1,000 pages.

And sometime, I want to add something on the sidebar all at once in the middle of area.

Even Tony made his Grid block, if I want to add something in the middle of area..., my assumption is that you can only add it at the bottom of the area.

The SUPER-UGLY plan for my site theme is.... to create the area like this

----------
Sidebar 10
----------
Sidebar 20
----------
Sidebar 30
----------

So that I can add "Sidebar 11" in the future.

=================================

OR here is another suggestion...

Maybe, we should add the area attributes that you can ONLY edit the particular area in "Default" in "Dashboard - Page Type".

Something like
$as->setAreaEdit(1);

By limiting the editing only in Page Type Defaults, you won't have to worry about the order of blocks within an area...?

Just a thought.