Er, how do I do a 301 redirect to another page?

Permalink 2 users found helpful
Hi folks,

How do I set up a 301 redirect to another page? the url of the old page is still showing up in search results, and i want to redirect it to the new page.

Is this done within C5 or at the domain or hosting level?

Thanks!!

juanzo007

olliephillips replied on at Permalink Reply
olliephillips
There are a few ways to do a 301 but probably your sites .htaccess file will be the best bet for a specific page redirect.
jordanlev replied on at Permalink Reply
jordanlev
Actually, I think an easier way to do 301 redirects is to use the "Additional Page URLs" fields in page properties. Go to the page that you want to redirect to, click "Edit Page", click "Properties", then click the "Page Paths and Location" tab. Enter the other url (the one that you want to redirect to here) in the "Additional Page URL(s)" field, click the little "Add Path" link, then click the "Save" button and publish your page.
foiseworth replied on at Permalink Reply 1 Attachment
foiseworth
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to confirm that I have tested what jordanlev said and this does indeed create a 301 redirect (see attached screenshot as evidence).

No need for an addon as seems to be the main suggestion in several other threads that I found before this one. :)

Thanks jordanlev!
omgstuart replied on at Permalink Reply 1 Attachment
hey, I know this is a little old but I am having some trouble redirecting using this method and wondered if someone could offer some advice.

I am editing the page I want to 301 redirect - selected the correct area as in the image - I want to redirect to the home page and the system seems to default a "/" - i then select add.

I have tried a number of other pages, cleared the cache etc... nothing seems to work.

I will keep trying, but I am sure this is a a simple error on my part... if someone coudl enlighten me.

thanks
Pluto replied on at Permalink Reply
Pluto
Hello omgstuart
You can replace your .htaccess file code with
# -- concrete5 urls start --
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^newsite.co.uk
RewriteRule (.*)http://www.newsite.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.html !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.php !-f
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
RewriteRule newname oldname
</IfModule>
# -- concrete5 urls end --
Hopes this will work for you
omgstuart replied on at Permalink Reply
Thanks for that Pluto, I have no access to the client ftp server or I would put the 301 in the htaccess.

Anyone have any suggestions why this would not work as previously described?

thanks