how to change charset for my page

Permalink 1 user found helpful
In the source code for my page it says:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC"-// W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr">
<head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Where is this defined and how can I change the defined charset for the page?
please, need your help urgently

rritz
View Replies:
jordanlev replied on at Permalink Reply
jordanlev
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can add this to your config/site.php file:
define('APP_CHARSET', 'WHATEVER CHARSET CODE YOU WANT');
rritz replied on at Permalink Reply
rritz
Hi jordanlev,
thanks! I thought maybe for once I´ll find an easy solution but alas

my source code now shows

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC"-// W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr">
<head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-2" />

like I wanted but also I get this message across the top of the screen:

Warning: htmlspecialchars() [function.htmlspecialchars]: charset `iso-8859-2' not supported, assuming iso-8859-1 in /home/yxyxyxyx/public_html/concrete/elements/header_required.php on line 29

and the characters I want displayed are still replaced with ?

I´ll go mad soon now
rritz replied on at Permalink Reply
rritz
I will have to set up the site in joomla which I hate
but there was no problem at all with special characters

with everything else there was though
rritz replied on at Permalink Reply
rritz
It seems that charset definition is not the problem

my other site in website baker shows

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

in source code, and I didn´t have to go messing with sql query at all.

What am I doing wrong?
Some of the special characters are just not displayed.
I event went into html editing and replaced every single ? with &#269; and suchlike
jordanlev replied on at Permalink Reply
jordanlev
Hi,
I didn't realize you actually needed the chraset of your content to be different -- I thought you were just trying to get that meta tag to output the right value.

If you're having problems with character encodings, you need to make sure that the same encoding is being used in several different places:
1) PHP
2) MySQL Default Charset
3) MySQL Collation
4) Your browser (when editing content on the site)

It's definitely possible, many people have done it before. I would search the forums for "charset" or "character set" or "language" to see some other threads where people have tackled the same issue before.
rritz replied on at Permalink Reply
rritz
I think I did all that but it still doesn´t work