Page Not Found, No page could be found at this address. ERROR

Permalink
While editing and adding files to my website pages on Wednesday evening, suddenly all weblinks to my files on every one of my webpages returns a Page Not Found, No page could be found at this address. ERROR.
I was not doing anything out of the normal. Simple add pages, upload files. and then add links to the new pages to download the files.

View Replies:
mesuva replied on at Permalink Reply
mesuva
This sounds like the .htaccess file has been modified on the server, this is what enables the 'pretty urls', the ones without index.php in them.

If you get a 404 for a page like yourdomain.com/yourpage, but you can view it via yourdomain.com/index.php/yourpage, that's probably what it is.

Have a look on the server at the file to see what is in it. It should have something similar to this in it:
# -- concrete5 urls start --
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.html !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.php !-f
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# -- concrete5 urls end --

Some hosts my do automatic things to these htaccess files, to change settings and what-not, so that might explain why it just happened without warning.
drhpapull replied on at Permalink Reply
Thank you so much for the response. Wish I was down under right now. I am sure it is a lot warmer there than here in Pennsylvania, USA. Had light snow last evening and below freezing this morning.

By the way my personal website ishttp://www.papull.com that I use concrete5 to edit. And I edit it a lot during the summer during our tractor pulling season to post event results.


As I have used Microsoft Front Page and now Expression Web to edit our fire company website for years with no “programming issues”, it perplexes me that things like this happen using Concrete5 and then require somebody with programming expertise such as yourself to help bail out the semi-computer literates such as myself as we bang our head against the wall. So Thank You again.


I was able to locate the “.htaccess” file in the root directory of “public_html” folder using cPanel and then file explorer to locate the file, highlight (select) the file and then choose “Edit” to actually open the file.



And here is the contents of the .htaccess file as I found them.

# Use PHP53 as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php53 .php
<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
suPHP_ConfigPath /opt/php53/lib
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.html !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.php !-f
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
</IfModule>

I believe that the first line is a comment line since it has “#” sign as the first character. I have used Microsoft Visual Basic for writing macro codes in Excel and am familiar with using a “ ‘ “ (single quote) as a code to designate a line of code as a comment line instead of an actual programming line.

So I have taken the first four lines of the htaccess file and added a # sign in front of those lines.

#AddHandler application/x-httpd-php53 .php
#<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
# suPHP_ConfigPath /opt/php53/lib
#</IfModule>

I then saved the file with those changes having been made.

But having done that, I am still not able to download the files that I have uploaded and then put a link on one of my wbepages.
Such as “2016-01, Fire Company Report.pdf” which I have put a link to on
http://papull.com/millheim-fire-company-treasurers-reports/fire-com...
This page was showing up in the address bar ashttp://papull.com/millheim-fire-company-treasurers-reports/fire-com... which and the file link is shown to be inhttp://papull.com/index.php/download_file/view/1517/303/...

I have since went back in and fixed the Canonical URL to be 2016 instead of 2010-2-2-21-2. With the 2010 being the original page which I have copied down multiple times to have other newer pages.

Also since commenting out those lines in the htaccess file I have also gone back in and entirely deleted the pdf file from my site, re-uploaded it. Then gone to the 2016 webpage, deleted the link and then reinserted the link to the re-uploaded file and I am still getting the “Page Not Found” and “No page could be found at this address.” Error. And yes I have emptied the cache of my browser and even opened the page from another device and clicked the link to the file and still getting the error of not being able to download the file because “Page Not Found” and “No page could be found at this address.”.
drhpapull replied on at Permalink Reply
Well I figured the problem out. Reviewed the "LOG" file and notice that a file or page called "Download File" got moved to the trash last Wednesday evening when the problem started.
So I opened up the Full Site Map and then on the right hand side of that window clicked on the "Options" drop down arrow. Then selected the "Show System Pages" check box.
Once the additional hidden icons showed up on the display, I dragged the "Download File" icon from the Trash and dropped it on the "Home" icon or page.
Voila, I can now download files.
mesuva replied on at Permalink Reply
mesuva
That makes lots of sense, I've seen this before!

I think I misread your original question, I read it as that all your _pages_ were 404ing as well, not just the file links.

Great to hear you've got it solved.