What Gets Searched And What Doesn't?

Permalink 1 user found helpful
I've updated search indexing in the dashboard but much of my text is not included. Does standard search only index meta tags such as Description and Keywords?

Sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find it in the forum.

Hondo69

jbx replied on at Permalink Reply
jbx
iirc, it depends on the names of your Areas in your Page Type templates. I believe 'Main' will always be indexed, but most others are not. Can't remember which ones are indexed, or where you add other Areas to the list. Maybe someone can jog my memory... :S

Jon
Hondo69 replied on at Permalink Reply
Hondo69
All I really care about is the ''main'' area, but it is not being indexed. I've tested it over and over again.
Hondo69
OK, I get it. c5 search doesn't really work at all. If want to use the search function I'll have to employ google or some other 3rd party.

That's a shame, I'm really beginning to tire of google.
RadiantWeb replied on at Permalink Reply
RadiantWeb
a common mistake is to name the main area "main" instead of "Main" (case sensitive) inside the template. this could cause it to skip your content as well.

C
Saltwater replied on at Permalink Reply
Saltwater
Oh it definitely works. But there are some required steps, a big one is that you need to go to the dashboard/sitemap.

Then go to Page Search and on the left above the search field you'll see a 'setup index' link. Click that and you'll get a list of area names to include in search, this is where you can add more than 'Main' to the list. (you can whitelist or balcklist too)

Second, you should go to the system & maintenance tab, in the Jobs tab check the 'Index Search Engine' job and run it.

Once done you should see search results. For some reason some installs don't require these steps to be completed up front.
jbx replied on at Permalink Reply
jbx
And don't forget, with MySQL full text search, your search string must be a minimum of 4 characters to work.

Jon
Hondo69
Oh my goodness. I had no idea.

Funny how you can spend hours trying to solve a problem only to discover you were looking in the wrong place.

Thank you so much for the tips. They will go in my c5 101 manual.
Hondo69
Great instructions!

Found just what I needed an all is working great. Thank you.
SpencerC replied on at Permalink Reply
SpencerC
Why is it that when I enter a search term of two words it does not find it even though the exact words are in my site? Works fine for one word searches.

Thanks.
Spencer
drbiskit replied on at Permalink Reply
drbiskit
Spencer - have a look here re: using more than one word in search...

http://www.concrete5.org/index.php?cID=101844...