HOW TO INSTALL
1. Unzip add-on file in your site's packages/ folder
2. Login to your site as an administrator
3. Find "Add Functionality" page in Dashboard
4. Find this package in list of packages Awaiting installation
5. Click "Install" button
HOW TO USE
The package creates a folder in the File Manager called Blog. It contains all uploaded images for the package such as category and blog images.
You can uninstall and reinstall the package without loss of database content as many times as required. However, after this all blog pages will have to be regenerated.
A blog post can only be added through the Dashboard > Blog. It cannot be added at the front end by adding a block to a page.
It is recommended to Install Sample Content after the first installation just to familiarize yourself with the functionality, tools and options. It can be deleted later prior to a fresh start of the application.
Blog -> Settings
- Blog is structured in a way that there is a Blog page (installed by default) which has a Blog Post List block and Blog Post pages which you create in the package, the latter have a Blog Post block and are placed under the Blog page.
- Page to Publish Post Pages Under is where all post pages will be published. It can be changed any time (you can create your own other page or rename the Blog one), but all post pages will have to be regenerated to point to the correct parent page.
- Two post page templates are provided: full and right sidebar. All post pages can be regenerated with a new selected template.
- Add Unique Identifier to Post URLs will append one for new posts. To do this for the existing posts, pages must be regenerated.
- Disable Blog Content Copy will prevent copy functionality for common users, such as Ctrl-C and mouse right click & copy. Note: it will NOT prevent knowledgeable person from disabling or bypassing such protection!
- Customize Status Defaults is where global statuses can be selected and only those posts having such status will be shown. Statuses must be created first in Blog -> Statuses.
- Clear Anti Spam Table clears a table in the database which holds IP addresses of the users who submitted review/rating posts in order to avoid automated spamming by robots. The table can grow over time, and you can clear it once in a while.- Delete All Posts will do just that. ALL post data will be lost.
- Delete All Content will do just that, incl. all categories and statuses. ALL blog data will be lost. Good idea after playing around with sample content and prior to making a clean blog site. Or if you want to start from scratch for whatever reason.
- You can Install Sample Content to help you get started with the package, even if you have not selected that option during the package installation. Note: you can uninstall and reinstall the package without loss of database content as many times as required. However, after this all post pages will have to be regenerated.
Blog -> Categories
- Image selected for the category will be used in the Categories block. It's optional but the Categories block will be empty without it.
Blog -> Statuses
- Status label can be shown for each post on the Blog Post List and Blog Post blocks.
- Show blog posts with this status will allow posts with this selected status to be shown. Posts with a disabled status will not be shown.
- Post list can be filtered by the Category or by Post Title or Author. It can also be ordered by the table column names.
- If the Publish/Withhold button is red, this means that post is disabled and not being shown. To make it to be shown, press this button, it should turn green. All green posts are generally shown depending on the status rules.
- Press the "Add Post" button for a new post editing.
- Select Post Status in order to be able to filter post list. If status is not selected but status rules apply, the post will not be shown. To show all posts regardless of the status, simply do not set the individual status rules in Settings.
- Disable Content Copy and Allow Comments for This Post have the same functionality as described for Settings but will only apply to that particular post. The global Settings will override these individual ones. Note: Un-selecting the Allow Comments option and saving the post will delete the Conversation block from its page, ALL messages will be lost.
- The image is used in the Post List, Recent Post List and Post blocks and is optional.
- Featured option displays a colored "Featured" label for the post if required.
- Description should not be too long. It is displayed in the Recent Post List and can make it look ugly if made too long.
- The detail page is where all post info with a post block will be displayed - it's created automatically after saving the post. Note: post page can be deleted and recreated without loss of data.
- The Categories and Recent Posts blocks always link to the Blog parent page.
- Add-on is styled for use with Bootstrap theme.
- Sometimes after numerous post updates, installs, uninstalls and sample content installation:
- if some posts turn disabled, press the post Publish/Withhold button on the Blog page to enable them;
- if some posts show no published page or if page names or addresses changed or you simply want to go back to defaults, either delete and regenerate the post page in post settings Detail Page or regenerate all post pages in Blog Settings;
- if for whatever reason too many posts are created and need to be removed, either delete all posts or all content from Blog in the Blog Settings.
- Save Settings before regenerating pages for them to take effect.
- Global Settings override individual post ones.
- Multilingual support is not provided out of the box and is not included in the package cost. Multilingual setup is possible, however it requires changes in code and can only be provided as paid support.
ENABLE BLOG INDEXING AND SITE SEARCH
1. Dashboard > System & Settings > SEO & Statistics > Search Index > select Indexing Method - Whitelist, select Areas - Main, then Save
2. Dashboard > System & Settings > Optimization > Automated Jobs > run Index Search Engine - All
3. Go to page you want to have the search on and add a Search block
If you want to limit the search block to the Blog only, in the Search block edit form select Search for Pages > Beneath Another Page > select the page with the blog post list.
ENABLE CONTRIBUTION BY NON_ADMIN USERS
1. Dashboard > Members > User Groups > Add Group > enter Name (e.g. Blogger) then click Add Group
2. Dashboard > Members > select user > Add Group > select group Blogger
3. Dashboard >Site Map > Options > Include System Pages in Sitemap > click on Dashboard -> Blog page > Permissions > Who can view this page? > select Blogger > Save Changes
4. Dashboard > System & Settings > File > File Manager Permissions > for both Search File Folder and Add File > Included > Add > Access > Select > Group > Blogger > Save > Save > Save
5. Log in as non-admin user selected in step 2 and visit page /dashboard/blog - you should have access to the Blog functionality
Ref. below documentation for more detail and play around with concrete5 permissions for better fine tuning: