Version 5.3.3 brings some dramatic changes to the way we handle custom attributes across the system. These are now very flexible, standardized, and we're quite happy with what they let you do. That being said, upgrading is at this point not a "one-click" process. We get that'd be awesome. It's very much part of what we're shooting for with the next major release, but there's only so much time in the day.

So, here's what we recommend:

1. BACK UP YOUR SITE. Export your database, copy the entire file system somewhere. Make sure you have a way to get back to where you were before starting this. If you skip this step - you probably don't wear a seat-belt or condom either.
  2. Upgrade to 5.3.2. In the past our releases have been able to upgrade from earlier versions for you. With this one, we ran into some endless issues with that so in the spirit of getting things done we've skipped it. The 5.3.3 update will ONLY WORK from the IMMEDIATELY previous version, 5.3.2. If you're several versions behind, use the 5.3.2 updater first which should be able to gracefully take you from 5.0 to 5.3.2 if need be. Here's every release of concrete5 if that helps.
  3. Download the 5.3.3 release, unzip it, and take its entire /concrete directory and replace your own (now backed up) site's /concrete directory with it. You shoudn't have to touch any other directories.
  4. Visit the update url: Yoursite.com/index.php/tools/required/upgrade
  5. Ideally, you say Okay on this page and you're done!
  6. Alternatively, you say Okay on this page, the core is updated to 5.3.3, but you're using add-ons that need to be updated as well.  Goto Dashboard > Add Functionality > Updates and update each Add-on there from the latest in the marketplace. You should be able to connect your site to concrete5.org directly, or you can upload the latest directories for these add-ons to the /packages directory in your install.
  7. Go BACK to the the: Yoursite.com/index.php/tools/required/upgrade update script. It should run again gracefully, finishing the process of updating your add-ons, which will now be enabled again.
  8. Pat yourself on the back and have a cookie.

Questions or Problems Upgrading?

Post your question in the Installation Help forum.

Comments:

Posted by zteverhart on
I received the following error on install;

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /home1/username/public_html/concrete/models/job.php on line 93
Posted by zteverhart on
nevermind ... fixed it by installing from dashboard.
okhayat
Posted by okhayat on
You might also want to have a look at http://www.concrete5.org/community/bugs/changing_password_from_profile_page_borken_r1348/ if you're updating from a previous version.
PhilYoung
Posted by PhilYoung on
Hi, I am running a 5.3.2 on my local machine using wampserver, and php version 5.3 in doing upgrade I get this error message.

An Unexpected Error occurred while upgrading: mysql error: [1062: Duplicate entry '1-1' for key 'PRIMARY'] in EXECUTE("ALTER TABLE FileAttributeValues DROP COLUMN fakID")

I am not a programmer but I cant find any duplicate entrey in the mysql db. Any thoughts?
Phil
novologic
Posted by novologic on
I am getting the same error running bitnami WAMP stack

aeroclown
Posted by aeroclown on
Look at the key numbers and see whats there.
PhilYoung
Posted by PhilYoung on
I just did an upgrade on one of my live sites and it went without a hitch so i am guessing there is some setting in wampserver that needs tweaking. As to the advice to look at the key numbers i am not sure what that means but it looks like a failure to alter the "fileattributevalues" table. i don't even see a drop column entry in it.
cleverington
Posted by cleverington on
I have followed the instructions above, but when I go to the upgrade page it says "Your site is already up to date! The current version of Concrete5 is 5.3.2. You should remove this file for security. "
frz
Posted by frz on
did you possibly skip step 3, or put the /concrete directory from 5.3.2 in there instead of 5.3.3?
elyon
Posted by elyon on
Does 5.3.3 upgrade gracefully from the release candidate?
cleverington
Posted by cleverington on
No 5.3.3 for sure I 'overwrote' the existing concrete directory. would it be best to delete the 5.3.2 and then drop 5.3.3?
cleverington
Posted by cleverington on
marius
Posted by marius on
First update the blocks and than make the update. But it worked well - thank you very much for the new release!
cleverington
Posted by cleverington on
I have the following problem with Galleria image gallery - 1.1
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ADODB_Exception' with message 'mysql error: [1146: Table 'hawkwell_hafc.FileAttributeKeys' doesn't exist] in EXECUTE("SELECT fakID FROM FileAttributeKeys WHERE akName = 'height' LIMIT 1") ' in /home/hawkwell/public_html/hafc/concrete/libraries/3rdparty/adodb/adodb-exceptions.inc.php:78 Stack trace: #0 /home/hawkwell/public_html/hafc/concrete/libraries/3rdparty/adodb/adodb.inc.php(1042): adodb_throw('mysql', 'EXECUTE', 1146, 'Table 'hawkwell...', 'SELECT fakID FR...', false, Object(ADODB_mysql)) #1 /home/hawkwell/public_html/hafc/concrete/libraries/3rdparty/adodb/adodb.inc.php(1017): ADOConnection->_Execute('SELECT fakID FR...', false) #2 /home/hawkwell/public_html/hafc/concrete/libraries/3rdparty/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php(497): ADOConnection->Execute('SELECT fakID FR...', false) #3 /home/hawkwell/public_html/hafc/concrete/libraries/3rdparty/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php(162): ADODB_mysql->SelectLimit('SELECT fakID FR...', 1, -1, false) #4 /home/hawkwell/public_html/hafc/concret in /home/hawkwell/public_html/hafc/concrete/libraries/3rdparty/adodb/adodb-exceptions.inc.php on line 78
mindfulbits
Posted by mindfulbits on
upgraded but know getting error on installing calendar, any ideas?
mysql error: [1062: Duplicate entry 'calendar_event' for key 2] in EXECUTE("insert into PageTypes (ctHandle, ctName, ctIcon, pkgID) values ('calendar_event', 'Event', 'main.png', '7')")
BeKindRewind
Posted by BeKindRewind on
Core upgraded fine, but can't upgrade my add-ons. Site uses Gallery, Advertisement, and Randomizer blocks. When I go to upgrade, "Download and Install" button available, but clicking any gives error: Fatal error: Call to a member function setPropertiesFromArray() on a non-object in /var/www/vhosts/miltonplanters.com/httpdocs/concrete/models/package.php on line 319

I tried to re-download packages through "My Downloads" but it gives me my original version, not the new ones updated for 5.3.3. Help! How can I download the newest versions without having to pay again?
marius
Posted by marius on
@BeKindRewind

Open your profile here (BeKindRewind's profile) -> My Downloads. Now download the new versions -> replace the old files and upgrade the blocks.
osu
Posted by osu on
Just upgraded (wore my condom and seatbelt, site backed up in other words) and got this error after replacing my concrete directory and running the upgrade url:

[code]Fatal error: Class 'DateTime' not found in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/sitename/concrete/helpers/date.php on line 36[/code]

Indeed, there is no class called 'DateTime' in that file.

Any advice on what to do next?
frz
Posted by frz on
are you running php 5.1 something instead of php 5.2 something?
Antonis
Posted by Antonis on
I did the upgrade most things work fine (exept a css problem on my current site) but i get the following message:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file in E:\domains\f\fassolas.com\user\htdocs\riff\concrete\models\attribute\key.php on line 248

it used to say "on line 247" but then i went and typed what the warning is suggesting and now i get the same warning but on line 248.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
osu
Posted by osu on
Hi Franz,

Damn, yes I am - PHP Version 5.1.6

My live environment is running PHP 5.2.9, so I guess the next logical step is to upgrade my local install to that...
PerryGovier
Posted by PerryGovier on
worked like a charm for me. running the latest stable xampp on my local mac and the latest lts of ubuntu on our servers. everything's working great.
osu
Posted by osu on
Ok, upgraded to PHP Version 5.2.10 and I'm now getting this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40961 bytes) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/sitename/concrete/models/package.php on line 153

Do I need to increase the memory limit? It says it's at 8M in phpinfo...
osu
Posted by osu on
Seems like I've at least got the installation semi-working by increasing my memory_limit in the php.ini file to 32M.

Having problem with my site anyway, but will move to the forums for those if I can fix them...
ryan
Posted by ryan on
@BeKindRewind, Yeah, you're absolutely entitled to upgrades on all the stuff you've purchased PM me if you can't get to the new versions, I'll email them directly to ya.
damery
Posted by damery on
I have attempted to upgrade a local version first and ran into some deprecated allow_call_time_pass_reference
issues with PHP 5.2.4 but mine was set to off and had to switch it on to get further but still banging into issues...just local though..soo far
damery
Posted by damery on
perhaps the next upgrade will be an online 1 click auto update process...ah to dream! ;-)
rbucky
Posted by rbucky on
I had to increase my php.ini memory from 16M to 50M to get'er done. No problems after that. Upgrade was smooth after that with Ubuntu Server 8.04.
rbucky
Posted by rbucky on
Posted by jeremyrcox on
I got the same error as PhilYoung and Novologic on Vista Home 64-bit running XAMPP server stack. I was able to successfully upgrade by using SQL Buddy (could also be done with PHPMyAdmin) to remove the fakID from the Primary Index list. I had to do this again with ukID in table userattributevalues. After this, the upgrade script executed just fine.
Posted by redhawk on
OK, here's my error: mysql error: [1146: Table 'database_concrete5.collectionversionblockstyles' doesn't exist] in EXECUTE("SELECT bs.*, b.bID, cvb.cID FROM CollectionVersionBlocks AS cvb INNER JOIN Blocks AS b ON (cvb.bID = b.bID) LEFT JOIN CollectionVersionBlockStyles AS bs ON bs.bID=b.bID WHERE cvb.cID = '1' AND (cvb.cvID = '32' OR cvb.cbIncludeAll=1)").

Running a WIMP server (yah, yah I know) WinServer2008 Enterprise, PHP5.2.9-1 and MySQL 5.1.37

Checking with phpMyAdmin, that table does NOT exist as the error message states. Checking my export files back several gens, don't see it. What now? I can create the table manually, but
don't know the data def for table nor what should be in it.
Posted by redhawk on

don't know the data def for table nor what should be in it.
Posted by redhawk on
Sorry everyone, don't know why my comment above posted 3 times. Not spamming ya, promise.
Posted by redhawk on
OK, tried a clean install with empty DB. Now getting this MySQL error:

mysql error: [1366: Incorrect integer value: 'ASET_ALLOW_NONE' for column 'akCategoryAllowSets' at row 1] in EXECUTE("insert into AttributeKeyCategories (akCategoryHandle, akCategoryAllowSets, pkgID) values ('collection', 'ASET_ALLOW_NONE', NULL)")
Posted by redhawk on
I tried to run the insert into this table with phpMyAdmin. It failed with the same error. running again but changing the insert to

insert into AttributeKeyCategories (akCategoryHandle, akCategoryAllowSets, pkgID) values ('collection', '1', NULL)

worked for me. So accordingly the error states that for akCategoryAllowSets field the data must be type integer and the install is not using an integer.

So, upgrade fails, fresh install fails. In a holding pattern on this. Too bad, sounds like some of the enhancements are things I've been looking for, or trying to implement on my own.
dlloyd
Posted by dlloyd on
Trying to upgrade!!

Fatal error: Call to a member function setAttribute() on a non-object in /home3/janiebmo/public_html/premiersurftraining/concrete/helpers/concrete/upgrade/version_532.php on line 437

any Ideas??? I wish I knew more about the core so I wouldn't have to bother the world with these questions. Thanks!
marcandre
Posted by marcandre on
First i got an SQL error, (don't remember what exactly, i forced the update afterwards), and now i get this error : "Fatal error: Call to a member function setAttribute() on a non-object in /homez.99/sarlhert/www/concrete/models/file_version.php on line 299"

What now ? Thanks !
ryan
Posted by ryan on
Hey folks, Just a reminder - please post any questions/problems in the installation forum. This guestbook doesn't work so well for providing support.
maximusbean
Posted by maximusbean on
Trying to upgrade my site uploaded the new concrete version and renamed it concrete in my public html directory.
went to the link
got this error message:
Warning: require(concrete/dispatcher.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home3/jeannela/public_html/index.php on line 2

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'concrete/dispatcher.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home3/jeannela/public_html/index.php on line 2
frz
Posted by frz on
you're going to get better support in the installation forums than on the guestbooks of these help pages.

Posted by segro on
What about upgrade from 5.3.3.1 to 5.4 ? just copy /concrete/ folder over the old one?
frz
Posted by frz on
same story, backup, replace core directory, run update script..

this changes AFTER 5.4 to be a little easier/safer
Posted by chrissaintmartin on
To upgrade to 5.4... I installed concrete 5 originally through simple scripts... all i had to was go back to simple scripts through my webhost, click my installs, and there was an upgrade option and did it that way... Worked in 2 mins (of course did a complete backup first). I tried to do it manually and ran into issues with uploading the zipfile... (I know it was something on my end, still cannot figure out what)... But anyways, it does appear to work much better. I like the new features I have tried... half fixed the moving with guestbook on a page (still cannot move the new box above it, but can move guestbook below the new box, so I am all cool). Made a page just to check out the new features and I loved concrete5 to start, now it is betters... Awesome work guys!!!
Posted by LukeBMM on
For those who've recently (as of November 2010) been directed to this page...
I was trying to upgrade an old site from 5.3.2 to 5.4.1 and had to go through the following:

- move or delete /concrete folder (I moved it to concrete-532)
- download 5.3.3 and unzip
- move the /concrete folder from 5.3.3 to the document root
- go to /index.php/tools/required/upgrade
- visit site to make sure it's working

- move or delete /concrete folder (I moved it to concrete-533)
- download 5.3.3.1 and unzip
- move the /concrete folder from 5.3.3.1 to the document root
- go to /index.php/tools/required/upgrade
- visit site to make sure it's working

- move or delete /concrete folder (I moved it to concrete-5331)
- download 5.4.0 and unzip
- move the /concrete folder from 5.4.0 to the document root
- go to /index.php/tools/required/upgrade
- visit site to make sure it's working

- move or delete /concrete folder (I moved it to concrete-540)
- download 5.4.1 and unzip
- move the /concrete folder from 5.4.1 to the document root
- go to /index.php/tools/required/upgrade
- visit site to make sure it's working

- get a well-deserved, stiff drink

Skipping any steps wreaked holy Hell and spat out nothing but errors. Really. It's a pain, but it works eventually.

Packages are next. Wish me luck.
You must be logged in to leave a reply.