why can't I get localizationtion to work?

I'm tearing my hair out here… the svn translation file for swedish is refusing to work.

Steps I took:
cd languages
mkdir sv_SE
mkdir sv_SE/LC_MESSAGES
cd sv_SE/LC_MESSAGES
wgethttp://svn.concrete5.org/svn/concrete5-i18n/sv_SE/trunk/messages.po...
msgfmt -o messages.mo messages.po

added this to the site.php:
define('LOCALE', 'sv_SE'); (within the <?php <<>> ?> block)

I have gettext enabled
this is my php infohttp://foretagsfokus.se/php.php...

what have I missed?

philiph

katz515 replied on at Permalink Reply
katz515
You need to tell me more detail how it doesn't work.

Like you get an error message, or Swedish simply don't display etc...
philiph replied on at Permalink Reply
philiph
It doesn't give me anything :)
no errors, no new language, nothing… kind of frustrating. I got swedish locale to work on a couple of other servers but somehow not this one… It's a cloud vps so I have full access to for example recompile php and stuff, but I don't know where to look for problems :)
katz515
So it means... you get an English screen at which point?
philiph
how do you mean? I installed concrete clean which has english, I thereafter try installing swedish but nothing changes. Basically the path of events unfolding :)
I compiled php myself so it might have something to with that, but I don't know what it could be. Also I have nginx as the webserver, but should that make any difference?
katz515 replied on at Permalink Reply 1 Attachment
katz515
Because I just installed Swedish language file onto my server.., and it all went fine... see my attached image.

I've tested on my Mac MAMP 1.7.2 server.

You compiled .mo file.. and placed on the right folder... and configured /config/site.php properly...

so the last thing that I can think of is your server setting.

Hmmmm...
philiph
I know, I have got it to work nicely a number of times on a few crappy shared hosts…

but what puzzles me right now is that wordpress localization works just like it should but concrete doesn't budge… as I gather they use the same teqnique for translating.

crap I just realized localization stopped working on 5.3.1.1 on another site that had swedish working… seriously what?
you have it working with 5.3.1.1?
katz515
Well.. look at the history of WordPress.

They released in 2001. And they fully supported the international version in 2004. It took them 3 years to support international version of WordPress.

Especially, WordPress Japanese version, it took them 7 years for WordPress core program to fully support Japanese language.

Until the last year, WordPress Japanese team had to build their own version of WordPress.

On the other hand, concrete5 was just released last year.

Considered that WordPress took 3 years to fully support international language... I think the achievement of concrete5 is great.

WordPress already have millions of users. And hundreds of international programmers working for WordPress.

Not that many for concrete5 uesrs yet..., so concrete5 is still in the early stage. But it's growing very rapidly... so I think we have promising future.

Last year, I was just one of normal Japanese Joomla and WordPress users.

This year, I decided to spend more time on concrete5.

Now, I became the go-to guy of concrete5 in Japan.

Yes, I thought that making concrete5 to Japanese was simple like you think when I first started.

But when I became a developer, I realized that how much effort and time, WordPress and Joomla teams had put in the last a couple years to support international languages.

But fortunately, there are already a handful number of examples of their mistakes. So we, including concrete5 core team, were quickly able to adopt them and apply to concrete5 internationalization to minimize the down time compared to what WordPress had.

I think we are ahead of the game. But yet, I don't understand Swedish. And I don't see much people in this forum from Sweden.

So if you think concrete5 has the future, you need to put your effort like WordPress international developers.

Yes, you will have to spend more time than you expected.

But you have a chance to become the guy of concrete5 in Sweden.

I decided to put my time on concrete5 because of its promising concepts.

It's kinda fun to receive the email from media people and being in the spot light.

So my time and effort has been equaled out because of that.